Help - Airbrushing RAF fuselage band

C

Cooperman69

Hi,

I'm sure I see a post on here a few weeks back about airbrushing the Sky coloured fuselage band on WW2 RAF aircraft but after an extensive search I can't seem to find it?

Anyway, today I was attempting to A/B the band but seemed to struggle when masking the circumference around the fuselage and trying to line up the Tamiya tape whilst keeping it looking straight was a little tricky.

Any tips on how to do this gratefully received. Do you use something other than Tamiya tape?

Atb,

Colin.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have a couple of tricks for that!

You can either buy or if you are a cheap git like me make thin tape! I take a roll of 6mm Tamiya tape tape. Now my scalpel when laid flat puts the blade 2mm over the worktop... Put the roll of tape on the table and turn it round as you cut with the blade. I cut about 2-3mm into the roll. Then turn the roll of tape over and repeat! One roll of 2mm tape x 3... I'll get to the point. I use the 2mm tape to define the edge of the part to paint as it is quite easy to pull in line and not wrinkle up. Then its just a case of masking up with a wider tape.

Method two is to use plastic isolating tape (like what you cover wires with :surprised: ) That can also cut into thinner strips, but I find it is quite flexible and good for masking curves and the like. Its Very good for waterlines on boats as well.

Ian M

C

Cooperman69

Great tips Ian, I've got a roll of electrical tape staring me in the face now :smiling3:

I'll give it a try.

Atb, Colin.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Helps if the electrical tape is warm as it makes it more malleable, Only minus is some brands leave a residue, it is easy to remove though with a bit of (paint safe) thinners.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here's how I spray Sky fuselage bands. I do the same for markings like yellow propeller tips and wing leading edges.

First spray the area in the colour of the band or marking,obviously covering an area slightly larger than the final marking.

Second mask the area of the marking. For bands I cut thin strips of Tamiya tape for the initial masking of the edge and then fill in behind with thicker strips.

Spray your camouflage.

Remove masking to reveal beautiful tactical or identification marking.

Camouflage colours will always cover the usually lighter coloured tactical/identification markings quite easily. By spraying in this order you will use much less paint and have much less chance of paint ridges against the markings.

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Most important part is to make sure you bond or burnish the very edge of what ever you use to the fuselage.

Some use cocktail sticks. I got hold of some sculptors things. They come in sets & are chrome metal stems with wooden handles. They have little balls at the end of the stem. I have used these with great sucess. Make sure the base paint is well cured.

If you look at the Catalina on my Gallery I masked up all the black which seemed at the time to be metres of the stuff & did not have one bleed through.

Like Ian & Steve I used narrow masking tape. If you use electrical tape make sure it comes form a good manufacturer as a lot have ragged edges where they have been poorly cut from a huge roll into small rolls.

The best tape I have found is Jammy Dog micro tape. Well cut on one side (other not so good) stretches straight & releases well. Obtainable in extremely narrow widths.

Laurie

C

Cooperman69

Thanks for all your tips.

I've just been out and had a go with some thin strips of electrical tape, well burnished the edges, filled the middle with masking and built airbrushed.

Really pleased with the results for my first attempt :smiling3:

I think your right Steve about painting the band first and then applying the camo. I'll try that next time as I'd already airbrushed the base colours as I was originally going to use the decals in the kit for the markings. Now I'm going for masking and spraying the markings.

I did warm up the tape on the radiator for 10 minutes Ian because as you point out it is very brittle when cold. I used my stencil kit to cut a straight edge.

I like the sculptors tools idea Laurie, might check out ebay to get a set.

Atb, Colin.

T

tecdes

Apologies Colin, brain storm, they are potters tools not sculpture.

Laurie

T

tecdes

They are embossing ball tools for paper & pottery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Styluses-Embossing-Pattern-Sculpting--For-Making/dp/B008UN6H10/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1347525945&sr=8-13

Got pictures here & shows the different sizes.

Great for burnishing but also with the different sizes useful for smoothing filling.

Laurie

C

Cooperman69

Excellent, thanks Laurie.

I'm ordering some now.

Atb, Colin.