Help! Choosing a compressor

D

djselliott

Hi all,

Picked up a badger 150 airbrush for cheap and now am looking for a compressor.

Found this on ebay Spraymaster Premium Silent Airbrush Compressor on eBay (end time 22-Jan-11 22:34:05 GMT) which would be good because its small and quiet, but that pretty much it, im obviously never going to power any tools from it or anything.

Or this from halfords Halfords | SIP Airmate TN1.5/6-0 Compressor which would be good as i could use it for other tools.

Can you use a big compressor with an airbrush? i assume it is just a case of twisting the regulator down a bit? and having the right adapters etc?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Dom

M

m1ks

Yes, you can use a big compressor, with the appropriate adapters, water trap and ensuring that you don't set the regulator too high.

The downside is, they're noisy and using indoors would quickly have complaints from other people in the house everytime it switches on, the hobby one however is almost silent in use, you'd barely hear it in the next room whilst working.

It comes down to what you want to do with it and where you want to use it, if you're spraying outdoors in an outbuilding where noise dowsn't matter, all ok, bear in mind if using for oter tools and mechanical related you could end up with lots of grease contaminants about which can be easily transferred by touch.

D

djselliott

ill probably get the bigger one, noise wouldnt be too much of an issue, i wont be using it that much indoors.

thanks

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
If you are wanting the Spraymaster one I would go for the AS189 it has a receiver tank, see my review or the Iwata Ninja is a good quality compressor to start with

S

Sky Raider

I have one of these John. Brought it almost 2 years ago for spraying my planes but found it a little too small. Really glad i kept it now because its going to be brilliant for airbrushing now im getting into it.

Money well spent in the end.

Andy

K

katana6434

I have the AS189 and I can thoroughly reccomend it. It works great.

N

Neill

Can someone tell me if you really need an airtank? I have the Iwata Sprint Jet and I am pretty certain it doesnt have a tank.

W

wanna_be_aviator

If you can get one with a tank. It keeps the pressure constant, saves more electricity is quieter and overall the compressor lasts longer. But the main advantage is the absence of pulsation with will make a huge difference when you try to airbrush really fine and precise details.