Help Me Save This Piece?

S

Shaggyotis

Hello all, I just joined this site to ask some people with more experience than me. I've gotten myself into a bit of a notch on my Airfix HMS Victory model. I'll put a picture below for better understanding.

Okay so, I painted a little panel from the bow of the ship, (the forecastle I guess it'd be) with a Tamiya acrylic flat blue color. Then I realized that the Tamiya blue dried a little darker than I foresaw, and didnt quite match the french blue on the real ship. So I painted over it with a couple coats of a lighter shade of blue. Once I painted over it, I was pleased with the color, but the paint was layered on a bit thick and it sort of ruined the intricate panel lines on the piece. I thought, no problem, I'll just strip the paint real quick and re apply a fresh coat. But it has been quite a while since I've actually had to use the paint remover, So I guess it was too old for proper use. And after I applied it to the piece, Most of the paint came off, but the paint remover left a hellish layer of this very thick residual goop. It sticks to everything and attracts dust and hairs, etc. and it contracts my fingerprints every time I touch it. I've been scrubbing at it like a madman and trying every remedy I can think of that wont melt or damage the plastic, but everything has been futile. The goopy residue is also very very hard now

Does anyone have any idea as to what I might be able to do to save the piece? (Just to let you know, I've tried using Windex, Warm water, scrubbing, peeling, and ever scraping to no success.)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 39006

HMSVictoryNastyPiece.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Was all the paints you used acrylics? Or have you used enamels at any point?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
What 'paint remover' did you use?

Steve

D

delmonteman

\ said:
What 'paint remover' did you use? Steve
Looks like Nitro-Mors! I know it makes plastic look like this as I got a bit of a shouting at by the missus after stripping a bike wheel in the shower with it. Not a pretty shower tray when I'd finished. (The wheel came up nice though)

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Why not go on-line to Airfix and see if you can order a new part. They are very good.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Revell airbrush cleaner takes off any acrylic paint i have ever put on. Might be worth a go?

G

Gomer Pyle

I use IPA (not the beer) for this sort of thing.

/Daniel

B

beav1013

i've used oxi clean with great success before to remove acrylic paints. just put some in a cup/bowl with warm water and let it sit for a couple minutes. rinse and repeat as required. worked great for me.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Anything amonia base cleaning solution. Floor cleaners like ajax. Oven cleaners do the job as well. ( I have just stripped two doors with that).

If you use a chemical based stripper NOT designed for model paints you rise melting the plastic. I guess you know that by now :confused:

I dont think you will be able to save the part. As Barry suggested try and get a replacement part from Airfix.

Ian M

M

munkster

LOL @ delmonteman. Have you gone as far as putting your disc rotors and derailleurs in the dishwasher yet? That *really* causes upset... Not that I can speak from experience, I know far better than that!!

S

Shaggyotis

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. And the plastic itself is not ruined, there's just a thick layer of the stupid paint remover. And I used this "BullsEye" Paint remover, which in the past has worked pretty good. I think it's because I havent done a model in over a year so it was just sitting in my workshop which may have caused it to thicken, or for the chemicals to separate.

Either way it was a stupid move by me haha but I will try a few more of the solutions you guys suggested and if they dont work I will consult airfix about the possibility of them sending a new part.

S

Shaggyotis

Just wanted to let you guys know, Airfix sent me another piece with no trouble at all!

I emailed Airfix customer care around midnight of October the 19th, and I received the spare part on the 24th, sent to me for free via airmail. I'm very pleased with Airfix (Actually for the spare parts, you'll end up dealing directly with Hornby Hobbies) for the outstanding shipping. They told me to expected delivery time could be up to 28 days since I dont live in the UK, but I got it in 5. And I live on the opposite side of the world from where it was shipped from in Margate, UK. Very cool people. Sadly, you dont get that kind of delivery quality for free in USA lol.

Thanks again to all of you!

T

tecdes

\ said:
Looks like Nitro-Mors! I know it makes plastic look like this as I got a bit of a shouting at by the missus after stripping a bike wheel in the shower with it. Not a pretty shower tray when I'd finished. (The wheel came up nice though)
Bit off the subject.

Gav you are my hero you came through it unscathed still with a wife & a clean wheel. Burst out laughing very funny. Just trying to imagine it you your wife a shower tray & wheel.

Deserves a DFM but tell us the secret ?

Laurie