help needed on my first purchase guys

W

windymiller

well its probably going to be two as i cant choose so me262 and bf109 but especially with the bf109 theyre are so many differing models of the same plane even from the same manufacturer, so ???? any thoughts guys ?? bearing in mind im a born again newbie !!!!

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan.
Following on from Al, once you have decided the scale if you google scalemates the aircraft you woud like to build (eg 1/48 Tamiya Me 262 ) scroll down the page and you will find reviews on the kit and other after market details available, as this is your first model for a while I would suggest you build the kit out of the box.
regards Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
1/48 Bf109F/G go for ICM or Zvezda
1/32 Bf109G go for Revell

1/48 Me262 go for Hobbyboss
1/32 Me262B-1/U1 go for Revell (Revell are releasing the Me262 A-1a soon)

Last edited:
W

windymiller

so being new (thick) would i be better with a bigger model ??

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Personally i would start with either 1/72 or (preferably) 1/48. But the choice is yours

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
so being new (thick) would i be better with a bigger model ??
Bigger scale = more detail (generally) but also more parts. A smaller scale model is easier/quicker to put together (again, generally) and so may be the better choice for a first effort, I think.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Alan,
I'd say 1/48 - big enough for good detail, but small enough not to take up too much room.
I'd second the HobbyBoss Me 262 - nice model, good fit.
The Zvezda 1/48 Bf 109F is a very detailed model - possibly too many small parts - it has a complete engine - maybe that the Tamiya Bf 109 maybe better..........
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI be nice to see how you get on but more than anything enjoy the build as im fairly new into building plastic kits planes
chris

W

windymiller

ah so the 262 arrived !!! pre me starting im assuming i need the paints as some bits will be painted pre assembly ?? (again sorry for stupid question) if so would it be wise to say buy the ammo Luftwaffe set ?? (i have no paints or brushes at all) i do have an airbrush and have got some primer

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Vallejo or Ammo. Your choice. I've never tried Ammo paints before so i can't comment. But i always use Vallejo personally.

You should have bought my 262 on evilbay ;) lol

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
im assuming i need the paints as some bits will be painted pre assembly ??
Or in the middle of assembling them. Like, you might assemble most of the cockpit but leave the seats out, to paint them separately from the cockpit and fuselage interior, and only then glue the seats to the cockpit floor and the cockpit into the fuselage.

if so would it be wise to say buy the ammo Luftwaffe set ?? (i have no paints or brushes at all)
Buy some :smiling3: Work out which colours you need and buy them, plus a couple of brushes. You don’t need hugely expensive ones, but don’t got for overly cheap (such as a set of different-sized brushes by model kit manufacturers like Revell) either. What you’ll need are a couple of different sizes, from maybe a millimetre across (or less) for the detail work to a couple of millimetres for larger areas. With some more experience you’ll be able to tell what kinds you like (and thus need) most.

As for paint sets: that would be a quick way to get all the main colours you need. Don’t buy any from Life Colour, though — those paints just never seem to cover for me. Four coats seems to be about the minimum needed, and usually more :sad:

W

windymiller

so looking at the instructions they detail six colours ?? dark green, light blue, burned iron, tyre black, light green and grey

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
It should say in the paint guide box the RLM colour numbers. I presume it will be something like RLM 76, 74/74 or 81/82 and black for the tyres

W

windymiller

yes got those and the ammo mig pack has four of the colours for £8.55 via emodels

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Alan,
try this SMS ( Scale Models own this forum ) - very good service, and a massive range of products ( you get reward points as well! )
Dave

W

windymiller

ta dave that was the one i was looking at, i have some bits owed to me by emodels on back order so if i can sneak some additions in i may not pay postage !!!