Help!!! Vallejo matt varnish disaster!

S

snapper41

Hi all - I wonder if anyone can help? I was finishing off my Revell 1/32 Ju-88 - all the decals on, gloss coat over them, weathering all done, and lookig pretty good. So, I did the matt varnish next - Vallejo matt from a rattle can; worked fine on the wings, but it has gone white on the fuselage - arrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Can't understand it - the whole model was done with the same paints, and matt varnished at the same time. Can it be rescued? Otherwise, that's 2 months' work down the drain...

T

tecdes

If your undercoats have cured for a good time & your varnish is relatively new you may be able to get the varnish off by carefully wiping with Vallejo Thinners. Managed that myself but only on a small area & worked OK.

If you try do it on a small area first. Is the gloss Vallejo or is it Klear ?

Tried to emulate what you have experienced about 30 minutes ago brushing matt varnish. Tried it over a damp surface & white spirit surface but came out ok.

Just removed the matt varnish with Vallejo Thinners OK & it did not affect the paint film under. Do not use Alcohol as this softened the paint film.

Hope you have some luck.

Laurie

S

snapper41

The gloss coats were Alclad Aqua Gloss. I'll give it a go as you suggest - thanks!

First Name
Dave
Ive not tried the aerosol cans of Vallejo but maybe you sprayed too much on the fuselage.Other modellers on this forum use those cans and get good results.Try giving the model two light coats next time rather than attempting to cover the model with one thick coat.Aerosols can be difficult to control and you end up putting more paint on the model than you intended.Even a cheap airbrush will give you better control than a spray can.