Help!

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Can anyone advise here...whilst gloss coating my 1/48 Mosquito (which i was very happy with until now), the varnish, Newton & Windsor pro, seemed to come out ridiculously thick, with streaks Almost flowing down. Not the usual mist it has given me before. I am worried these will really affect the final finish, the second pic is where some of the varnish pooled. Although it removed the paint, I felt it was important to remove the blobs asap.

Attachments

• C56D2696-225A-4728-B152-467CF02B09B1.jpeg
    C56D2696-225A-4728-B152-467CF02B09B1.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 482853BF-0337-47FF-AE54-5F52B76DF77A.jpeg
    482853BF-0337-47FF-AE54-5F52B76DF77A.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 22

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
It sounds like a heat issue, the varnish volatiles are evaporating too quickly, what's left is the more viscous part.

Leave it until it is cooler to start spraying and thoroughly mix any varnish prior to use.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thanks, didn't really think that might be an issue. Any solutions to the flows of varnish?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Thanks, didn't really think that might be an issue. Any solutions to the flows of varnish?

I don't know if you have used thinners Jack, but temperature affects how paints, thinners, varnish etc behave-I have noticed my airbrush paint, despite thinning is still drying very quickly, sometimes out of the nozzle.

You could try mixing more thinner or just wait until it gets cooler, you could also try putting the varnish bottle in the fridge for 20 mins prior to use.

Another issue could be that the varnish has started to go off-the volatiles in the mixture have outgassed with opening and using it so whats left is the heavier denser components-try adding some thinners, mix well and do some test sprays for coverage, splooting etc.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI jack was you usein a rattle can or airbrush ? if rattle can did you give it a good shake ?
chris

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
HI jack was you usein a rattle can or airbrush ? if rattle can did you give it a good shake ?
chris
Spray can, used it before, shook well etc and always been fine. Must be the heat. Any suggestions on recovering the model?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well Jack from your small pics its difficult to see for me anyway but in my opinion a little light sandin down an touch up with a fine brush of the paint then spray again very lightly an I think you

D

Deleted member 7181

Another thought. With it being a rattle can any build up on the nozzle can badly affect the spray pattern and its particularly hard to spot with clearcoats / varnishes. This could have caused it to come out in a heavy stream rather than a nice misty fan, giving you the overly heavy application in spots leading to those runs.

I'd try and sand the high spots lightly as already suggested, touching up the colour underneath if needed, then give your nozzle a really good clean before applying another coat.

I use so many spray cans that I have a technique for cleaning them off with my thumbnail, but a cotton bud or similar dipped in thinner should do the trick.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thanks Chris, thanks Andy, will give that a go. Gloss varnish is literally the only thing I use a can for, everything else is airbrushed and am learning more about that with each use. Maybe time to gloss with that as well. And in cooler weather!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI again Jack I was told many yrs ago that when usein a spray can always give the can a good two minute shake an when finished sprayin turn the can upside down an give it a quick spray as that clears the spray nozzle an I have never had any probs
chris

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi Jack, righto, didn't know you are using a rattle can.

As the guys have mentioned it sounds more like a nozzle blockage issue, this will cause it to splot rather than fine spray.

Remove the nozzle and clean with some white spirit, do not soak, just keep wiping and use a pin to get into the holes. Leave to dry and then re-attach.
Shake really well and do a test spray, as mentioned by Chris, when finished turn upside down and clear the nozzle with a spray.