Here again!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Some time ago, I asked about an issue I had with Vallejo paint not drying. Well I'm here again with the same issue.

PJ sprayed some VMA Aluminium, thinned about 10% with water and well mixed, on his GB Mustang last week. When he picked it up to do more work on it today, it was still slightly tacky to the touch. It's been kept in my lounge which is usually very warm (although it's not been as warm as usual for the last few days as my radiator has packed up leaving me with just my gas fire).

Any suggestions what is going wrong? I've been using VMA for some years and this has so far only happened a couple of times. I don't want to swap my VMA for another brand as I've got over 100 colours which would make a change very expensive.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have not had it happen so I cant really say, maybe a quick email to Vallejo explaining the issue, along with the batch number off the paint label. They are normally good at replying.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've had that a few times Dave, due to putting the paint on too thickly/quickly. When I remember to mist the paint on and let it dry before the next coat, it's OK.
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Real shame it's happened on PJ's model. Maybe it's just the one bottle of paint which is somehow "off". If the other Vallejo paints work OK then it could just be the aluminium.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm building a Tammy Porsche 959 ( not blogging this ), using the VMA aluminium as the main body colour. It's drying alright, but the problem is with spraying - the nozzle clogs up after a minute or so - I tried another airbrush - same thing! I've come to the conclusion that the bottle is well past its' use by date - maybe your problem is with an old bottle? I'll be ditching mine as soon as I've finished the Porker...........
Dave

Reactions: JR

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Just an idea, but could you try over thinning the paint and spraying multiple layers instead?
My thinking being that the metallic pigment may be adversely affecting the drying. By thinning it you may reduce or eliminate the problem?
Obviously test spray on old sprue/spoons or whatever first.
Good luck.

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave sorry to hear of your problems. Can't comment on the the issues you're having but if you do need a new bottle, then you can't go wrong with the below.

It came highly recommended by Jim and Tim amongst others and although I've only used it a couple of times, it is the best AB experience I've ever had.

More info here.....

IMG20221103140609.jpg

First Name
Andy
I have had a bottle of that for over 2 years but I only use it for brushing in small silver bits so that's no help to you I'm afraid. One of these days I will use it through the airbrush for larger parts and see how it goes.

Andy.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I have had a bottle of that for over 2 years but I only use it for brushing in small silver bits so that's no help to you I'm afraid. One of these days I will use it through the airbrush for larger parts and see how it goes.

Andy.
One day I’ll try spraying it as well Andy. I recommended it to Andrew for brush painting ;)

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I don't want to swap my VMA for another brand as I've got over 100 colours which would make a change very expensive.
I had the same issue, decided to focus my subjects and limit what paints I initially needed then will add slowly from there.