Hermann Grafs fw 190a-5 monogram 1/48 by yak face

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well after a LONG build ive finally finished it on the last day, nothing like cutting it fine!After all the buzz when the build started, i went on holiday and when i got back just couldnt seem to get motivated, being sidetracked by other builds and just a little bit fw190 overloaded, but eventually i got moving and here is the result. As you may have seen on the build thread the kit is quite old and lacking detail in most major areas, but in its favour it has some lovely restrained raised rivetting and is simple and reasonably accurate. The hardest parts were making the cockpit and wheel well details and fabricating the lightning flashes from bits of spare decal . I had originally hoped to do the all yellow cowl version of grafs machine but realised mid build that version had extra supercharger scoops each side of the cowl,so stuck to the earlier incarnation. here are the pics, cheers tony

View attachment 24702

View attachment 24703

View attachment 24704

View attachment 24705

View attachment 24706

View attachment 24707

View attachment 24708

View attachment 24709

View attachment 24710

P1060940 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060932 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060931 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060942 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060937 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060939 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060935 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060938 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060934 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

F

Fenlander

Very nice Tony, very nice indeed. I know from the build how much work you have put into this and it does show. The paint scheme is very ambitious and you have pulled it off really well. Superb piece of work bud.

I know where you are coming from with the FW190 overload, I think we all suffered fro that to various degrees. I am really hoping that with the potential diversity of the summer build and the extension of time, the forum can continue as a more widespread discussion group throughout the GB.

With you hat in the pic, I really hope you will have a go at this GB (I really want one of those hats for this winter)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
thanks for the comments graham, Ive got my build sorted for the eastern front GB, only a plane but a particular plane and ive managed to get a figure of the particular pilot too, so ive got to practice my face painting skills as SHE was noted for being quite pretty ( thats got em thinking!) cheers tony , p.s. the hat was off e-bay from russia , about £16 inc postage heres the link xmasuk items - Get great deals on Collectables, Sporting Goods items on eBay UK!

B

bikerbart

Tony...that is sheer quality, love ,love it, love it. I dream of the day i might be able to get a finish of this standard on an aircraft. Real credit to you, thanks for sharing with us, regards Martin :smiling:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks martin, I enjoyed it once i got my mojo back ! Some of the older kits(i think this ones from about 1974!) can still be fun to do especially if you like a bit of a challenge, cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's a super job you've done there Tony! Well worth the wait for us to get to see it and one you can be proud of.

And Graham's absolutely right. With that hat, it would be a tragedy if you didn't enter this GB!

Gern

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Definitely worth the wait. Excellent job - especially the cockpit. I'll have to read back to see how you tackled the decals.

I'm glad you got your modeling mojo back - means we can all marvel at the finished 190.

Great work

Paul

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I don't mean to bellittle everyone elses 190's, they were all great builds, but this one is quite outstanding. I know nowt about the accuracy of model aicraft, but I do recognise the work that has gone in to this particular model.

Very well done Tony.

Ron

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony, well what can I say thats not aready said. It's got it all, beautifully painted with subtle changes of tone it the otherwise plain areas, weathering which isn't over done, oil stains, superb cockpit. 5 Star from me. Cheers Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Wow 5 stars, thanks chaps , as they say ,you can still get a good tune out of an old piano!Heres to the next GB , hopefully i can get it done a bit quicker next time. cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
I don't mean to bellittle everyone elses 190's, they were all great builds, but this one is quite outstanding. I know nowt about the accuracy of model aicraft, but I do recognise the work that has gone in to this particular model.Very well done Tony.

Ron
cheers ron , cant wait to see what your cross of iron GB is, i get the feeling that this next GB will be a real bag of allsorts, cheers mate tony

F

Fenlander

The pilot wouldn't be Natalya Meklin would it? She was gorgeous, like an american film star of the 40's

R

Richy C

Very very nice build Tony , gets the full house from me also mate

Richy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well that turned out rather well didn't it. Well done Tony.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
The pilot wouldn't be Natalya Meklin would it? She was gorgeous, like an american film star of the 40's
Good guess graham but wrong im afraid. Pity ive already done a model of the po2 biplane (see thread 'polikarpov po2' in aircraft pics page 4)of the infamous "nachthexen" of which meklin was a pilot , it would have fitted in perfectly with the eastern front theme! The woman im doing (?!!!) is lily litvyak ,the highest scoring woman pilot ever and her yak 1,anyway all will be revealed when i take the sprue shots. cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Richy,ian dave and derek ,thanks for your comments, cheers mateys

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Five stars from my matey, it's a cracking job and nice to see some colour too.

Have fun, John

R

rogue-one

hi tony. this is a great plane! the lightning flashes decal is nice and the weathering is great. another finished topper!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I get confused you see...I thought I'd seen this one already,but I hadn't. Well done,a top job as usual on this one Tony, and you managed to squeeze in for the GB.

Cheers

Steve

N

noble

Tony mate the amount of work you have put into this one alone deserves 5 stars so you get them from me outstanding paint and finish and the weathering and detailing is beautiful well done mate.

scott