Hi everyone

First Name
Christos
Hello guys (and gals?), recently I've got back into this childhood love of mine after 35 years or so.
I remember when I was a kid and my parents or relatives gave me some money it wouldn't last more than a few minutes before I found myself gluing stuff together.
Why it took me so long to fall back into my favorite hobby? I can only blame male hormones kicking in and the high octane nature of early adulthood that pulled me away.
Back then I used glue, brushes, Revell enamel paints, made a mess of everything, enjoyed every minute of it.
Now I find myself being torn between old and new, easy to use acrylics but can't shake off the sentimental connection to my old ways.
So having completed only two models I already have a stash of 20 enamels and 20 acrylics.
I guess I should give it a little more time before I find out again what works best for me.
From nature I know now what gives me kicks is putting stuff together, that's why I wouldn't paint my models and if I did it would be a horror show.
It was one kit after the other at some great pace.
Nowadays I am no longer content with that and I try to finish my models proper, I do know however where to draw the line and won't get carried away by high profile YT channels and their impressive exploits.
I think I have come to realize I cannot resist the gravitational force of this hobby.
I realize it every time I go to a model shop to buy just one thing and always end up buying 2-3 kits at a time I shouldn't be buying.
Initially I felt bad about myself senselessly spending money but realizing there's a ton more addicts out there like me I feel that tiny bit better!
Cheers everyone, just glad to be part of a community sharing the same interests

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
:thumb2: Welcome to the forum, your right it is addictive, if I go a day without spending any time at the bench I feel I've missed out, look forward to seeing your builds.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
What a cracking introduction!
I'm sure that your story there is a familiar one to most of the guys here,so you're among friends for sure !! :smiling3:
It sounds as though you've got just the right sense of humour to fit right in seemlessly ;)
I look forward to seeing you around the various bloggs,and posting some of your own builds :smiling3:
Cheers for now.
Andy

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Christos,
welcome to the forum! It is a community - that doesn't take everything seriously, there's loads of advice, just for the asking & some is even useful!
What's your scale & interest? Unlike other forums, SMF covers the whole wide world of scale model making
τα καλύτερα Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Welcome Christos...o boy you're going to enjoy being here. No levels just fun building and sharing and always hoping to learn something along the way.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Welcome, i sometime wonder if i spend to much on this hobby its not the kits its all the other stuff…but look at any other recreational activity they are all more expensive ski diving the single ball sports i wont mention any names and you can almost always look back on the many achievements when you build a kit good or badly i have the evidence!!!
enjoy it while you can. great thing about this site no judges just good banter
welcome simon

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi christos , welcome to the forum . , sounds like your love of the hobby has been hard to resist . Feel free to ask anything and have a good look round , youll always get friendly advice , cheers tony