Hi everyone :)

TwitchyBill

SMF Supporter
First Name
Billy
Hello everyone!

I am a new member to this forum so thought I should introduce myself :smiling3:

Name is Billy, and I have been making models (on and off) since I was a kid (I am late 20's now), although my dad did most of the work back then! I almost exclusively build 1/72 aircraft, although have acquired a few 1/48 kits recently. I also have a collection of unbuilt 1/35 Tamiya tank kits which I feel I am not good enough to attempt yet! I am open to building kits from pretty much any brand, but my go-to's are Airfix, Revell, Tamiya, Eduard and Academy.

I think it is fair to say my skill does not match my love for making models, but I am learning how to perfect every aspect of the build, from the actual construction to painting, and eventually weathering and detailing.

I have a question off the bat - I have never had much success with airbrushes, but this is really down to the fact I have only used suction-feed types (which are a nightmare) and cheap paints. I am determined to get a half-decent gravity-fed one and learn to use it properly. Are there any entry level brushes you could recommend?

Thanks! :smiling3:

Billy

TwitchyBill

SMF Supporter
First Name
Billy
Hi Pete,

Good point! To be honest anything under £130(ish) would be ideal, and have seen a few for sale online but not sure how good these are. I have an air compressor, but it's a small one and not sure how compatible it would be with an airbrush.

Billy

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hello everyone!

I am a new member to this forum so thought I should introduce myself :smiling3:

Name is Billy, and I have been making models (on and off) since I was a kid (I am late 20's now), although my dad did most of the work back then! I almost exclusively build 1/72 aircraft, although have acquired a few 1/48 kits recently. I also have a collection of unbuilt 1/35 Tamiya tank kits which I feel I am not good enough to attempt yet! I am open to building kits from pretty much any brand, but my go-to's are Airfix, Revell, Tamiya, Eduard and Academy.

I think it is fair to say my skill does not match my love for making models, but I am learning how to perfect every aspect of the build, from the actual construction to painting, and eventually weathering and detailing.

I have a question off the bat - I have never had much success with airbrushes, but this is really down to the fact I have only used suction-feed types (which are a nightmare) and cheap paints. I am determined to get a half-decent gravity-fed one and learn to use it properly. Are there any entry level brushes you could recommend?

Thanks! :smiling3:

Billy
Welcome aboard Billy.... And pleased to here your dedicated to the one true scale i.e.

I've recently started getting serious at that scale aircraft too, although 1/72 armour is still a big thing for me.

Would love to see your work.

ATB.

Andrew

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi welcome to the forum,bartsharp do some pretty good for the price ab's, to get you started,I'm using a small compressor, upgrade as your skills improve.

TwitchyBill

SMF Supporter
First Name
Billy
Welcome aboard Billy.... And pleased to here your dedicated to the one true scale i.e.

I've recently started getting serious at that scale aircraft too, although 1/72 armour is still a big thing for me.

Would love to see your work.

ATB.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew!

Haha, you can't really beat a 1/72!

Yeah I will submit my models as I do them - it will be nice to show them to fellow model-fanatics (my girlfriend isn't as interested in them :tears-of-joy:)

I am not sure I have built any 1/72 armour kits, although I have done the Airfix 1/76 Tiger, Tiger 2 and Sherman kits.

Billy

TwitchyBill

SMF Supporter
First Name
Billy
Hi welcome to the forum,bartsharp do some pretty good for the price ab's, to get you started,I'm using a small compressor, upgrade as your skills improve.
Thank you, I will take a look. Yeah I have a small compressor too. I want to get an airbrush that is not too expensive or above my skill-set, yet good enough that it will last a while and still produces half-decent results!

Billy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Billy
A warm welcome to a great forum. Lots of airbrush recommendations. Best for general use in modelling is dual action, gravity fed with 0.3mm nozzle. That will cover 95% of your needs. If I had to go with one make it would be Iwata.
The compressor would need to be capable of delivering up to 20psi but have the ability to dial it down. A compressor with an air tank will usually give a constant air flow, no pulsing.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Billy,
welcome to the forum. Don't worry about your skill not matching your love for making models! Nobody was an expert modeller from the off! As long as you enjoy your builds, and can see where you can improve, then that's progress. There's a wide range of experience in the membership, so don't hang back with your questions!
As Peter said 110 different answers for a choosing an airbrush!!! About the only thing I can chip in with is get a air compressor with a tank - without a good air supply, the most expensive airbrush is just an ornament!
Dave

TwitchyBill

SMF Supporter
First Name
Billy
Thanks Dave!

It's such a labour of love this hobby, I am always overly critical of my own builds but determined to get better each time! I see pictures and videos online of the 'experts' and would love to do what they can do!

Thanks for the advice, from what I am gathering by the replies so far the air compressor is the key, rather than the brush! So I have learnt that already ☺️

Billy

TwitchyBill

SMF Supporter
First Name
Billy
Hi Billy
A warm welcome to a great forum. Lots of airbrush recommendations. Best for general use in modelling is dual action, gravity fed with 0.3mm nozzle. That will cover 95% of your needs. If I had to go with one make it would be Iwata.
The compressor would need to be capable of delivering up to 20psi but have the ability to dial it down. A compressor with an air tank will usually give a constant air flow, no pulsing.
Jim
Thanks Jim,
I do have a small compressor that runs at about 15psi, but doesn't have a tank. I have noticed the airflow can be a bit blotchy, and now I know why! Cheers!

Billy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks for the advice, from what I am gathering by the replies so far the air compressor is the key, rather than the brush! So I have learnt that already ☺️

Billy
Not really Billy. What Dave is saying is that one is no good without the other. The best airbrush in the world won’t give great results with a poor air supply, and the best air supply in the world can’t make a bad airbrush perform better than it can. There is quite a lot in here about airbrushes so have a good read around and ask questions. Just expect everyone to give a different answer if you ask what is best. It’s one of those skills that we all seem to crack in a different way. What that tells me is that it’s actually hard to get it too far wrong, and whatever you buy will probably work pretty well :tongue-out3:

TwitchyBill

SMF Supporter
First Name
Billy
Thanks Tim, I get what you are saying. I just suppose I didn't appreciate how important the air compressor was, I thought the brush was the be all and end all! I just need to get my confidence up on them again. It sounds silly but I even find mixing the paints a bit hit and miss, it's either too runny or so thick it won't come out of the nozzle! But yeah I just need to jump back on that horse, not be afraid to make mistakes, and keep trying and trying until I finally get the hang of it (hopefully!!! )

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Firstly. Welcome to the forum Billy

Secondly i would just like to say that don't fret too much. We all made (and still make) mistakes. THE most important thing to remember is to have fun. Try new things and if you feel open enough to, share your results.

People on here will not give negative feedback. It is the way of the forum that we give constructive and positive feedback. We all understand that there will always be better and more talented model makers out there.

Anyway i ramble on. Have fun and post your progress if and when you feel able to :smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I even find mixing the paints a bit hit and miss, it's either too runny or so thick it won't come out of the nozzle!
I think we've all got that T-shirt! I'd suggest that at first you use paint that is more-or-less ready for airbrushing, such as Vallejo Model Air. Even that can often benefit from a little thinning though.
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome Billy.

You'll enjoy yourself here, always some one can help with any problem re modelling .
Plenty advice already given about AB's .
Just read the answer from Pete, very very true :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Billy - my view (which is generally at odds here with many people) is to practice with the hairy brush (gives you a more focused approach) whilst not getting too ambitious first off with an expensive airbrush- far too easy to get dispirited with a costly tool! As many cognoscenti have said on this forum 'Slowly, slowly, catchee monkee! (Or similar!)
Steve