Hi folks

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Just a quick intro.
Like many I guess, coming back to modelling after a very long absence due to work, family and more work.
Bit of background, ex military, aircraft fitter then flyer. Then!!! Office work!!
Son has memories of me making models from his youth so thought now I've retired I need a hobby so he bought me the Airfix Sea King as I have several hours in the things. (back seat). Which reignited the spark. Haven't started it yet as I am busy assembling new kit to make a start. (Already have a Challenger 2 stacked waiting for the confidence to kick in).
I'll be mooching about the forum initially scouring for tips for us new starters to digest. Then the stupid questions will probably be asked. I apologise in advance!!
Once I get my feet under the table I'll probably get stuck in the forum and hopefully share my failures and successes!!
Enough for now.
Waspie!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A warm welcome to a great forum Gordon. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. Join in and have fun. Whatever questions you have I can guarantee that you will only get polite, helpful replies.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi Gordon , welcome to the forum , cheers tony

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome Gordon .

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
First question. Is there a work round the upgrade in respect to having to sign up to a 'PayPal' account? Tried to Upgrade last night but every time it tried to force me to register for a PayPal account!

I had an extremely bad experience which involved Interpol and UK fraud agency regards PayPal!!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
First question. Is there a work round the upgrade in respect to having to sign up to a 'PayPal' account? Tried to Upgrade last night but every time it tried to force me to register for a PayPal account!

I had an extremely bad experience which involved Interpol and UK fraud agency regards PayPal!!

@john @Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Anything to do with payment you will need to contact John the owner of the forum and the Scale Model Shop.
I must say very surprised to hear you had problems with PayPal. I have had an account with them since forever.
Just follow the most important rule of the Internet. Read all emails carefully check the address never follow links in mail.
Inter act through the Web site after entering the address yourself.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Anything to do with payment you will need to contact John the owner of the forum and the Scale Model Shop.
I must say very surprised to hear you had problems with PayPal. I have had an account with them since forever.
Just follow the most important rule of the Internet. Read all emails carefully check the address never follow links in mail.
Inter act through the Web site after entering the address yourself.
Hi Ian, thanks for the response. I'll try the site owner and see If there is a possible solution.
Mmmm, PayPal - what can I say. They allowed someone in Poland, (evidently he used a .PL email on eBay to make his purchases), to empty my credit card! Hence Interpol's involvement. PayPay were totally useless. Did absolutely nothing to help even after pressure from the UK fraud agency. So my faith/trust in PayPal is less than zero.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Update. Managed to upgrade! SWIMBO has told me before to not do things when I'm tired. Again - she's right.:tired: Long day yesterday - should have waited until today!!
I missed a button to de-select 'create PayPal Account'. Once that does I was able to sign in and pay as a guest.
So sorry folks' I'm here for a while longer!!!
In the interim, and on a modelling note. I found a few of my old tools from way-way-Waaaaay back. The one thing I wanted to find was my old kilt needle!!!! Very good back in the day for making bullet holes in my model aircraft, bit of black around the hole to look like it burnt the canvas or lighter if metal.
Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gordon,
welcome to the forum - main thing is to enjoy the modelmaking. Pick techniques & tips up, so that the next build will be better. There are a wide range of skill levels in the forum members from beginners to experts, we all started somewhere . Ask any questions, someone will know the answer, or know where to find it...................
Dave