Hi folks

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Welcome Gordon. Looking forward to seeing your stuff when you're ready.

Mike
Hope you're patient. I have the kits, assembling the tools. Also trying to convince myself about airbrushing. Doing the research right now, so many, various costs. Modelling has moved on since I last built anything. In fact my last build was a Balsa kit. Looking forward to the challenges!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Just a quick intro.
Like many I guess, coming back to modelling after a very long absence due to work, family and more work.
Bit of background, ex military, aircraft fitter then flyer. Then!!! Office work!!
Son has memories of me making models from his youth so thought now I've retired I need a hobby so he bought me the Airfix Sea King as I have several hours in the things. (back seat). Which reignited the spark. Haven't started it yet as I am busy assembling new kit to make a start. (Already have a Challenger 2 stacked waiting for the confidence to kick in).
I'll be mooching about the forum initially scouring for tips for us new starters to digest. Then the stupid questions will probably be asked. I apologise in advance!!
Once I get my feet under the table I'll probably get stuck in the forum and hopefully share my failures and successes!!
Enough for now.
Waspie!

Welcome Gordon..... Like you a returner to the hobby after many years.... I'm blaming my then six year old son!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Welcome Gordon..... Like you a returner to the hobby after many years.... I'm blaming my then six year old son!!
I blame SWIMBO for me giving up first time!! She is to a duster what a pneumatic drill is to a lump of concrete!!! I had bits of aircraft and ship everywhere!!! I just give up!! Also a couple of disastrous house moves put pay to an any she never trashed!!!!

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Welcome Gordon,
So coming back after so many years away from the hobby, you are not alone a lot of us on here are returned retirees. We do not have stupid questions on this forum, we have people that wish to learn, and if you do not ask, you do not learn... You will soon pick up on subjects like airbrushing, weathering, washes etc etc so do not be put off. Yes I have a SWMBO who is a dust fanatic, every time she passes my room she turns pale and rushes for the garlic and wooden steak and swears the dust from my room polutes the house - I call it insulation....
Again welcome to the forum.
Mike.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Welcome Gordon,
So coming back after so many years away from the hobby, you are not alone a lot of us on here are returned retirees. We do not have stupid questions on this forum, we have people that wish to learn, and if you do not ask, you do not learn... You will soon pick up on subjects like airbrushing, weathering, washes etc etc so do not be put off. Yes I have a SWMBO who is a dust fanatic, every time she passes my room she turns pale and rushes for the garlic and wooden steak and swears the dust from my room polutes the house - I call it insulation....
Again welcome to the forum.
Mike.
We have come to a suitable arrangement re location!! I have a garage not suitable for the car so it now mine! All mine!!!! Guess where I will be modelling?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Gordon, a little late but hi anyway. Haven't had a break from modelling in years and so loosing my marbles what with hanging around with the wacky bunch of misfits here:tears-of-joy: We get all manner of questions and they get helpful answers. As for techniques, the experts still use the very first they ever learned like putting two pieces of plastic together so you're not alone. Although they do it a bit straighter and flushed with less glue but you'll find out how as you progress. Just enjoy the come back.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Sorry to create confusion. I used my Christian name when I joined the group and tbh it's confusing me!!!
The only person that ever used it was my mother and she's long gone!!! I simply don't register anything when I see 'Gordon' so have reverted on my profile to 'Doug' which is what I answer to and everyone else uses.
Apologies for the change but I know not who Gordon is!!! Even SWIMBO doesn't use my given name!!!!!
Doug

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Okay let's start again. :smiling6: Hi Doug, a little late but hi anyway. Haven't had a break from modelling in years and so loosing my marbles what with hanging around with the wacky bunch of misfits here:tears-of-joy: We get all manner of questions and they get helpful answers. As for techniques, the experts still use the very first they ever learned like putting two pieces of plastic together so you're not alone. Although they do it a bit straighter and flushed with less glue but you'll find out how as you progress. Just enjoy the come back.

Cheers,
Wabble

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Okay let's start again. :smiling6: Hi Doug, a little late but hi anyway. Haven't had a break from modelling in years and so loosing my marbles what with hanging around with the wacky bunch of misfits here:tears-of-joy: We get all manner of questions and they get helpful answers. As for techniques, the experts still use the very first they ever learned like putting two pieces of plastic together so you're not alone. Although they do it a bit straighter and flushed with less glue but you'll find out how as you progress. Just enjoy the come back.

Cheers,
Wabble
I am already noticing changes, plastics are thinner as is the glue/cement. I remember the Airfix tubes as thick gloopy 'stuff' that more welded sections together and were less than forgiving if you made an error!! Now glue is applied with a brush!!!

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Welcome to the place great folks here for sure been with this crew for over 5 years and they stick together like Band of Brothers always here to help and encourage you they way it should be. Now go have fun! Patient 309.