Hi from East of Stockport

IanW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi, i am Ian and am a new member on here.

Have been building (some would say abusing) models for nigh-on 70 years.

As a young kid I mainly assembled plastic kits (mainly Airfix, but also Kiel-Kraft, Matchbox and Revel). later moving on to Tamiya .
Model-making tapered off somewhat when I had to obtain gainful employment but still kept spasmodically returning to it.
Returned to it when I took early retirement/redundancy about 15 years ago. Driver for the return was finding /digitising my father's war-time photos and deciding to try and make a diorama from a set pictures of his RAF Recovery & Salvage Unit (54RSU) in the Western Desert. As I had not really ventured into the diorama sphere of modeling previously, I made a few small dioramas as a build up to the main event. This somehow led to me falling into showing my efforts on the AMSIG table at shows mainly in NW England. As I tend to have a somewhat eclectic (some would say weird ) slant to my builds, my end of the table became known as the 'lunatic fringe'.

Things tailed off during the pandemic, with no show deadlines to meet, and then just as things were getting back to normal I suffered a stroke at the end of March, which has somewhat curtailed my build activities, but I am slowly getting back into action, as I am trying to use the process as an aid to recovering the use of my left hand, Not actually attempted to build anymore kits as I figure that would only benefit the 'carpet monster', but have been attempting to build a 1/12 scale shed to depict a 'men in shed' scenario utilising a couple of my previous kit builds.

If anyone is interested in seeing my eclectic collection of dioramas they can be seen on the AMSIG forum, search for IanW.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A warm welcome to the forum, Ian. We are a very varied, friendly and many would say a slightly lacking in sanity group of modellers. Sharing the hobby alongside some great banter is what makes this forum the best on the web.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Welcome Ian. Nice to have another diorama builder on board. There is great banter if the building mojo wanders off. Hope the dexterity comes back to near normal for you so keep working at it.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A warm welcome from me too Ian. As a fellow Stroke sufferer I know where you are coming from re loss of dexterity. I have regained some, but not all, mainly through extensive physio and sheer bloody mindedness.
John.

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Welcome to the forum Ian. Be good to see some pictures…..

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
A warm welcome from me too, Ian.
I had a peek at your facebook album and now I understand what they meant with "lunatic fringe"... and I love it :thumb2: :cool:: some very unusual and brilliant subjects. That surfing guy is wonderful and the wave even more.:cool::thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Lunatic fringe? You'll fit right in here on the funny farm! :tongue-out3: welcome aboard Ian.... I'm off to check out your link.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Lunatic fringe? You'll fit right in here on the funny farm! :tongue-out3: welcome aboard Ian.... I'm off to check out your link.
I take it from that remark you might mean me Rick ;)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome Ian, like the General Lee coming through the wall. You'll fit in here well :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: