Hi from Mansfield

First Name
ian
Hi all my name is Ian & I am 53 years old who is medically retired due to having terminal cancer, due to my illness I spend a lot of time bed ridden so moving into doing plastic model kits seemed to me like the perfect way to occupy my time & of course if I am too unwell I can put it down and resume when I feel unto it.At the moment I have three tamiya. motorcycles consisting of the one I've just started which is a susuki hyabussa & also have a Ducati 916 / a Honda cb750f which I am doing for a friend as there is a terrific story behind it, I also purchased a revell Volkswagen T1 camper van model number-RVO07674 to do as well but to be honest I do love my motorcycles so will concentrate on doing these for the immediate future.I would love to hear from anyone who has done any of the motorcycle kits who may have some tips to pass on & I also have purchased a airbrush kit nothing too fancy but it works very well & I have watched tons of YouTube videos on how to use & maintain it and feel confident enough to use it, anyway I don't want this to become a novel so I look forward to hearing from anyone and hopefully finding some useful information on this website.
kind regards
Ian dean

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ian
Welcome to the best modelling forum on the web. Scale modelling is a great hobby. I have no experience of motorbike models but Tamiya are usually very good kits. Quite a few on here do make motorbikes.

First Name
ian
Hi Ian
Welcome to the best modelling forum on the web. Scale modelling is a great hobby. I have no experience of motorbike models but Tamiya are usually very good kits. Quite a few on here do make motorbikes.
hi Jim thanks for your reply & I will look out for those people who are into building the tamiya motorcycles, I chose tamiya as I know from experience that they produce excellent model kit as I use to race radio controlled cars a while back and the tamiya kits all though expensive were top quality so presumed their plastic model kits would be equally good even though they are very reasonably priced compared to other brands doing say cars etc, also do you know if any other kit producers that do motorcycles other than tamiya as I've yet to see anyone else that do motorcycle kits.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Welcome my friend to the show that never ends.......

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Welcome Ian. Aoshima are another kit maker that produce motorcycles, and I think Hasegawa do as well. I did the CB 750 a couple of years ago. It should be in the motorcycle forum somewhere if you look for it. It went together well despite its age, but the decals, tamiya’s weak spot, took a little care. It’s badly titled as Tim’s mid life crisis build……

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
welcome

hope you enjoy it here

i finished a 916 only last week

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Welcome Ian, It's good to see another Nottinghamshire guy on here
looking forward to your progress

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ian,
welcome to the forum! There are quite a few bike modellers here, and I have been known to make one or two in the past. Best way to get advice ( apart from asking! ) is to post up a build log, with pictures, and people will chip in with how-to, or how-not-to assemble/paint things. Another good point is sourcing hard to find items - there is such a wide range of members, someone will have an idea where to get things!
Dave

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Welcome Ian.........you've picked a good place to 'ang yer 'at! Lots of bike builders here so post up what you're working on (as Dave said) and I'm sure you'll get answers to all your questions and even some unsolicited advice from time to time. ;)

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Welcome Ian. You'll love this forum. I've been here since January and have found it amazing and interesting. I've learnt alot and also enjoyed the banter.

I'm from Arnold, Nottinghamshire and whilst I don't live there anymore, my parents and sister still do so I still visit on a regular basis.

I used to spent many a time in Mansfield watching the football. I don't even like football, but I went with a friend who was a lifelong Mansfield fan.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome to the madhouse Ian

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Glad you're on this forum mate - all human life is here as they used to say in the News of the World! Enjoy!
Steve

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Welcome, yet to try my hand at two wheels which is a surprise considering i rode them for almost 40yrs both for pleasure and for work!

First Name
ian
Welcome Ian. You'll love this forum. I've been here since January and have found it amazing and interesting. I've learnt alot and also enjoyed the banter.

I'm from Arnold, Nottinghamshire and whilst I don't live there anymore, my parents and sister still do so I still visit on a regular basis.

I used to spent many a time in Mansfield watching the football. I don't even like football, but I went with a friend who was a lifelong Mansfield fan.
Hi I aint far from Arnold I am from Bestwood park my parents still live there and my brother lives in Arnold still.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
And a big welcome from Germany too, Ian!!! We're a crazy bunch of glue slingers, so enjoy your time with us. Dang, who am I again???

Prost
?????.....Oh, Allen

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
... and a warm welcome from Italy too, Ian. Sorry I'm not in bike modelling but I'm pretty sure you'll find plenty of precious and friendly advice here, both for bikes and for airbrushing.

Andrea