Hi from Mansfield

First Name
ian
Hi all my name is Ian & I am 53 years old who is medically retired due to having terminal cancer, due to my illness I spend a lot of time bed ridden so moving into doing plastic model kits seemed to me like the perfect way to occupy my time & of course if I am too unwell I can put it down and resume when I feel unto it.At the moment I have three tamiya. motorcycles consisting of the one I've just started which is a susuki hyabussa & also have a Ducati 916 / a Honda cb750f which I am doing for a friend as there is a terrific story behind it, I also purchased a revell Volkswagen T1 camper van model number-RVO07674 to do as well but to be honest I do love my motorcycles so will concentrate on doing these for the immediate future.I would love to hear from anyone who has done any of the motorcycle kits who may have some tips to pass on & I also have purchased a airbrush kit nothing too fancy but it works very well & I have watched tons of YouTube videos on how to use & maintain it and feel confident enough to use it, anyway I don't want this to become a novel so I look forward to hearing from anyone and hopefully finding some useful information on this website.
kind regards
Ian dean
I would like to thank everybody who has messaged me and made me feel so welcome , I have had a terrible day with pain as I seem to be struggling to get over a major operation I had on the 28th July 2022. but these messages have cheered me up and even though I've not been able to work on my model today that's the beauty of this hobby as I can come back to it another day when I hopefully feel better as this hobby to me is so important as it gives me a sense of purpose and I have already completely fell in love with this hobby. so thank you again everybody you are all such a good bunch of people.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Welcome Ian good to have you onboard :smiling4:

I’m relatively new here and can confirm what the other guys have said about it being the best/friendliest forum bar none.
There is usually something going on here too so good to browse when your not feeling well enough for bench time.

Not a bike modeller myself but I look forward to seeing some of your builds :thumb2:

Geoff.

First Name
ian
hi all not done anything with my susuki hyabussa build I've been too poorly and tbh am struggling to type this with the amount of pain I am getting just wish it would relent for a few hours to give me a chance to get some more of it built, I don't expect it to be anything like what I've seen on this forum I for one don't have that skillset yet and two this stupid cancer keeps getting in my way so not sure if I could put the same dedication into it but the most important thing is when I get a chance to do it I really enjoy it so to me anyway that's what matters is having some enjoyment out of the build its just something money Carnt buy if I won the euro lottery tomorrow I wouldn't be any happier tbh because I couldn't enjoy it so would probably give most of it away to say like getting the homeless off the streets or helping ex-servicemen etc but I would leave myself enough to have a really good set up and buy as many kits I I could manage and for me I would be happy at that , I have a cheap £30 airbrush I've used once and it seems well made & I aint doing any portraits with it so don't see the point of splashing out on a Iwata that I cannot afford when all this will mainly does the bodywork like the fairings etc but I will look for some videos to watch to see the best way on doing it and making a good job fit. anyway guys I will try and capture a photo of the bike when I have the rear swing arm fitted into it then another before I do the fairing basically when the bike is complete except the bodywork and finally when its done, the next one a Honda cb750f if the one I need to nail as its for a friend who has one he purchased one 35 years ago brand new and after about 4 years sold it (oh he also had cancer but is in remission now) anyway a few months ago he got the itch to have another one as he love the first one so much & regretted selling it so went on the hunt, one cane up for sale in nottingham which is where is is originally from so went up to see it , well it was immaculate so he purchased it and whilst looking at the log book he realised this was the bike he purchased from new 35 years ago and the first time he had it he & is then girlfriend had a photo took on it so when he got home that then girlfriend who was now his wife of 30+ years re-created that photo a month or so back so when I saw the bike on tamiya"s list of bikes they do I purchased one with it in mind I would mount it on a plaque and give it too him to put on his mantle as friends do foreach other and because I was so touched by the story so good bye for now guys and happy building .

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
A very nice story, that of your friend's Honda.
Personally I think that the presence on the same vehicle of 2 wheels and an engine means that there's something missing (wheels) or exceeding (engine) :confused: ;).
I tried, in my youth, but motorbikes make me really nervous :fearful:.
Maybe the Guzzi Nuovo Falcone (500 cc, 250 kg) was not the correct starting point for the lightweight (65 kg) I used to be almost 40 years ago.:rolling:
On the other hand I fully understand that the sensation a bike offers are really charming for many people.:thumb2:
Waiting for the next step in your Hayabusa build, Ian.
A hug.:hugging-face:

Andrea

First Name
Jeffrey
Welcome from another newbie. I've discovered that it's easier to buy kits than it is to get the courage to start them !! The downside to a forum like this is that yes, the people will help as much as they possibly can, but the models most of them produce are just so blinking good that you feel inadequate before you even open a box - when you're younger, you just glue everything in sight without a care in the world about the finished look.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Welcome from another newbie. I've discovered that it's easier to buy kits than it is to get the courage to start them !! The downside to a forum like this is that yes, the people will help as much as they possibly can, but the models most of them produce are just so blinking good that you feel inadequate before you even open a box - when you're younger, you just glue everything in sight without a care in the world about the finished look.
Jeff,
Please never feel that your builds aren't as good as the next persons, some of mine have been known to take at least a year to complete.. and still don't look as good as some of the others can turn out........
A thing to remember is this quote that somebody mentioned a while back, and it's the most truthful thing I've ever read on the internet....'it's my build and I'll do it how I like it'....
This hobby is all about you being happy with your current build and not what anybody else thinks of it,
so crack open those boxes and dive right in buddy, there's no criticism here, just lots of folk who are more then willing to share their knowledge...:thumb2:

Last edited:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Jeff,
Please never feel that your builds aren't as good as the next persons, some of mine have been known to take at least a year to complete.. and still don't look as good as some of the others can turn out........
A thing to remember is this quote that somebody mentioned a while back, and it's the most truthful thing I've ever read on the internet....'it's my build and I'll do it how I like it'....
This hobby is all about you the builder being happy with your current build and not what anybody else thinks of it,
so crack open those boxes and dive right in buddy, there's no criticism here, just lots of folk who are more then willing to share their knowledge...:thumb2:
Amen to everything that Chris has said! If it ain't fun then try something else Jeff - like a cultural survey of Aussie outside dunnies for instance!
Steve

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Jeff,
This hobby is all about you being happy with your current build and not what anybody else thinks of it,
DITTO on that you are right Chris an Jeff just enjoy your build thats what this hobby is all about an keepin you sane
Chrisb

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, another one backing the Chris approach. The whole point is have fun. Everything else is a bonus. I’ve been doing this stuff for about forty years now, and I still look at others work and think “I wish I could do that”. After a while you won’t find that sort of observation scary though, it will spur you on to try something different or add some of those techniques into your own work. That’s how you grow your skills. :thumb2:

Two things to remember …..
No one builds like a competition builder first time out, and even those rarified superhumans that can build like that will still look at their builds and only see their mistakes…….
Secondly, as Frank Spencer once said, “no man who never done nothing, never made any mistakes”. You will have problems during the build, and things will not go as you expect. This happens to us all. However, as you gain experience you will work out how to correct these issues and get past them. In no small measure, this is where the sense of achievement you will get from modelling is generated.

You’ve got to open the box and get the glue out though, nothing happens until you do :tongue-out3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
..........you just glue everything in sight without a care in the world about the finished look.

Is there another way? :upside: ;) It's your model to finish how you want. Of course give the model your best shot, but just be happy with the end result.

So Ian, take note of the excellent advise and comments ,and a belated welcome to the forum.

Have fun.

Ron

Last edited:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Totally agree with the guys comments, when I first started modelling again I would never dream of buying AM add ons. That soon passed but then I’d never consider trying scratching stuff but I watched others on here and with their help I moved on to that as well. At the end of the day this is our hobby, our go to place to chill (and occasionally swear) to just enjoy what we do. There are some amazing models on here but every one we complete is our own personal achievement and your fellow modellers will be there to spur you on

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff

Just build them Jeff :thumb2:

You will never improve your skills if they stay snuggled in the box.

If it doesn’t turn out as you planned then try again with the next one. It’s all a learning process, just enjoy the journey ;)

Geoff.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome Ian.
The most important thing is to have fun, enjoying yourself as you build each kit .Whatever you produce it's your build , your way, so enjoy.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Welcome i build a few tamiya bike kits and have a few in my stash if i can help in any way let me know.
good thing about tamiya is the quality and there clear instructions,
as the others have said its your build at your pace when your in the mood, i have two on the go just now rc166 tamiya and an sr400 ioshima if you look them up the quality sticks out a bit, but to be fair the sr is an old kit and in Japanese so building instructions are a bit fluid but there what you make of them.
when i started out just after my heart surgery 12 odd years ago i build a ducatti still have it, its ruff and all hand painted with blobs of glue everywhere i was going to bin it till a friend told me to keep it as a reminder of where i had been and to use it for inspiration for my other builds

enjoy the forum
simon

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Couldn't agree more about what the others have said about not expecting perfection even with your 10th completed kit. Take your time and learn from your mistakes accepting that they're part of the learning curve.

I have every model I have made since coming back to the hobby about 8 years ago..... Some of those early ones are in reality not very good BUT I still look back at them with fondness because it's where I started AND they also give me perspective on how far I've come.

And remember above all it's about having FUN!!!

ATB.

Andrew

First Name
ian
Jeff,
this is so true I do enjoy building model kits & yes its motorbikes at the moment as that's my passion but I am sure I will delve into others thing eventually , I actually seen a kt of a destroyer that was nearly £400 and massive but I don't want to purchase it because I am not sure I will live long enough to complete it and wouldn't want it to go to waste but it was one hell of a kit with incredible detail but I assume it would take a couple of years to complete.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
this is so true I do enjoy building model kits & yes its motorbikes at the moment as that's my passion but I am sure I will delve into others thing eventually , I actually seen a kt of a destroyer that was nearly £400 and massive but I don't want to purchase it because I am not sure I will live long enough to complete it and wouldn't want it to go to waste but it was one hell of a kit with incredible detail but I assume it would take a couple of years to complete.
The destroyer might be a step too far and a few quid too much at the moment Ian, but in the long run it probably works out at about fifty pence an hour. Not bad for a source of entertainment really ;)

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Welcome aboard - I too have built several Tamiya bikes, their quality is great, have fun :cool:

First Name
ian
hI all still not managed to get on with my build I just Carnt seem to get well since my operation on the 28th July , I know it was a major opp but I thought I would see some improvement by now just hope it aint the beginning of the end as with terminal cancer you just don't know unless the signs are so obvious but that's just me on a bit of a downer because I am bed ridden and Carnt do the things I want to do, Anyway to a question I have does anyone have any information on other makes of kits apart from Tamiya so are they any good like fitment of part / instructions etc you know what I am getting at, so is there any that rival tamiya & are there any manufacturers that should be avoided regardless of price is it simply you get what you pay for ?. any info would be greatly appreciated and hope you all are enjoying your modelling guys .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I can readily recommend the newer Airfix kits. We'll priced, good fit and nicely detailed. With minimal problems they build into models to be proud off. I'm always wary of "old" kits. Most do not compare favourably with more modern kits. There is a website called Scalemates which give details of most kits.
I hope you feel better soon and can get down to some modelling. As others have said don't compare your efforts with others and just enjoy the hobby.