Hi, I'm new here but I have the Model Building itch I need scratching..

P

PabsTheGeek

Hi all,

Thought I would sign up as you seem a good bunch of people (after a few minutes lurking around) :smiling3:

My name is Paul, I've build models before, about 20 years ago if I'm honest. I built aircraft and spaceships. Recently I've had the urge to get back in to the hobby and I guess I'll be starting to learn those skills again.

Just thought I'd say "hi" as I may have many questions to ask.

I was going to start with a 1/24 cars, but I realise that may be a little challenging at first and I should start simpler with 1.72 scale?

D

dubster72

Hi Paul, welcome aboard!

Were I in your shoes, not only would it be uncomfortable for us both (!), but I'd be thinking about an Airfix 1/32 scale car kit. You'll find these quite reasonably priced & easy to find. More importantly, they go together very well.

I built the WRC Focus & the only head-scratching bit was fitting the windows. Other than that, it was an enjoyable build & I don't usually do cars.

Cheers

Patrick

S

stuart.c.82

Hi Paul. Returning after a 20+ year break myself and gonna do cars too. I've been researching and this is defo the best place I've found. YouTube has been good too and a video on the post below was a good watch

P

PabsTheGeek

Thanks guys. Yeah Stuart, been watching a few vids, that kinda put me off a little till I hone my skills a bit. Especially with painting!

S

stuart.c.82

I've decided I'm gonna just take my time....( ALOT OF IT) and think things out before committing. 1st model I'm doing is gonna be a Chevy impala as I can do it all black, that way the painting won't be my main focus the build will be! Mainly gonna be concerntrating on prep and seams & I can still get used to the materials / paints. Gonna deliberately adapt it /alter it just to try out various techniques (worst case scenario I'll learn from the errors and model 2 will be better.)

P

PabsTheGeek

Good plan, I guess going for that extra challenge means you will take more time over it. I wasn't particularly brilliant at building 20 years ago. I never used a crafting knife or file stuff done. This time I want to do it proper, take my time too.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
welcome aboard

to be honest, if you want to get back into the swing of things id go larger scale and not smaller

bigger bits go together easier.......just approach the whole thing with the mindset that the first few models are simply for learning on so might not be that great

that way you will not get disheartened when you cock something up....its all a learning curve

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Welcome paul the way i would go is to get a cheap starter set as i would go that way airfix do car starter kits but the main thing is enjoy what you do.

Peter t

D

Deleted member 4539

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

Whatever you decide to build,don't expect it to be like a top notch build.

Take your time and most importantly have fun,fun,fun.That's what hobbies are about. :smiling3:

Ralph.

P

Polux

Welcome to the forum Paul!

For any question or doubts...just ask around ;)

If you decided to build a car, you can post it on the "under construction section". This way, all the members can help you!!! And this is a forum....so, the commitment is share our hobby :smiling3:

Polux

P

PabsTheGeek

Was thinking of getting a kit like this

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/revell-model-set-audi-r8-spyder/569322-1000

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi paul and welcome to the friendliest forum on the net, cars and motorcycles oh and ships are my genre, well, I say that but actually I will try anything (although I am totally rubbish at planes) (just can't seem to do a even half decent one) I say that as an example of how we aren't all suited to all genre's there are loads of great car kits out there and the airfix 1/32 kits (the new ones) are great, I would definitely steer completely away from black as a finish on a car model if you're new to it (black shows every flaw and imperfection, it is the hardest colour to get a good finish in whatever subject you choose)

S

stuart.c.82

Other place is eBay but again postage is a sticky spot.... Imho buy from where your expecting to ask help from.... No one on eBay will offer the same help as here so unless your saving a fair amount or going somewhere in person this shop seems a good bet

D

Deleted member 3568

Ask john (the owner of the site and shop)before going elsewhere if he can equal the price he will but often he can beat it, even if you dont see what you want ask john, if he can get it he will(he's helped me out on numerous occasions)

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Was thinking of getting a kit like this
http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/revell-model-set-audi-r8-spyder/569322-1000
That looks like a good start Paul.......... Welcome to the forum. This is probably the the friendliest place on the net....... anything you need to know just ask. There's always someone with an answer....... Mostly several answers....... none of the answers will be the same...... and some of them (mostly mine) will be complete bollix:smiling3:...... Enjoy your stay.