Highlighting panel lines

First Name
Dave
My current build will have an all over black night fighter paint finish.As im taking the time to rescribe panel lines i would like to highlight these.But i want it to look realistic.I was thinking of painting the model black with a bit of red mixed in like stona uses on his models.Then running black paint into the scribe lines.What do you think?.Or has anyone got any other ideas?.I want it to look subtle and realistic.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Dave

Just been looking at some other forums and it seems the best way to go is as you said using Steves method of black and red or green added to get a more realistic scale black and then use a straight black wash for the panel lines.

Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I shade "black" models both ways. I really don't preshade so I can either spray my "black" on the model and then lighten the centre of various panels (effectively darkening the panel lines) or,instead of lightening the panel centres I can lighten the panel lines. I'm not sure either method is really realistic,this is really where art rather than science is being applied. I usually apply a light grey wash to "black" surfaces.

There is a tendency to always darken panel lines but look at the effect of lightening them as I did on my recent Bf109F. In this case on "blue" rather than "black".

I think either way can give a pleasing effect and texture to the painting of a model and both avoid a drab and uninteresting monochrome surface.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
Thanks for taking the time to answer my post Vaughan and Steve.Looks like ive got a few things to try.Ive got some Flory models light dirt was so may try that first as it can be removed easily if i dont like it.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Dave, im with steve 100%, i used the same technique of spraying a slightly lightened mix in the middle of panels etc. on the mosquito nightfighter. The photos dont really show it too well but it adds a nice bit of variation to a uniform finish, cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice piccy of a clean looking P-61 here.

Photos: Northrop P-61... Black Widow Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

Cheers

Steve

P

phalinmegob

dave, i just used some flory models wash and am not sure where i went wrong but it was really difficult to get off and some places is unmovable and has stained the paint work.i used it over a gloss coat and it still stained the white painted parts.i made such a mess of the model that i got fed up and flung it up on the shelf for another day.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
dave, i just used some flory models wash and am not sure where i went wrong but it was really difficult to get off and some places is unmovable and has stained the paint work.i used it over a gloss coat and it still stained the white painted parts.i made such a mess of the model that i got fed up and flung it up on the shelf for another day.
The only time I've had that happen was when I applied the wash over a coat of Klear which I don't think had cured. The wash was completely immovable in places and I had a very dirty Bf109!

I leave my gloss coat at least overnight now.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
Ive only ever applied the wash over enamel gloss varnish and have not had any problems.Re:shading panels i will go with your suggestion Steve and Tony.Im not very accurate with the airbrush. So maybe if i spray the entire model black them put thin blue tack 'sausages' over the panel lines then spray a lighter shade over the top that will do the trick.