Hiya to one and all...

AlexBB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Hiya Guys n Gals,
Well though I have used Scale Model Shop for sometime I had never come across the forum... Noticed it this morning and decided to join...

So would like to say hello to one and all.

I am a late 50's modeller who like many others got back into modelling just a few years ago, I used to build 'badly' models when I was young and did a few of the Addar kits in a bottle, Aurora Monsters and a few space ships with the Airfix Saturn V being one I desperately wanted at the time but for some reason lost in time I never finished.
In my early 20's I built several of the Tamiya and other brand motorcycle kits which sat proudly on an old garage shelf for many years but have long since disappeared.

I now have a mixed interest with SciFi, cars and motorbikes and I also have an avid interest in the Vintage Airfix motorised Museum kits which I like to actually build rather than just collect, though I do keep the boxes lol... Since retiring I now have more time for my hobbies and have set myself up a nice little man cave for my modelling and other pastimes.

Hopefully I can pick up a few tips from the more experienced members and maybe pass on a few tips.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Welcome from a long time member and as others will say if you need any help just ask as we are a friendly bunch.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome aboard Alexander!!

ATB

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Alexander,
welcome to the forum - you'll find plenty of like minded modellers here - I've done a few bikes & cars, as well. The Airfix Museum Models were always a draw for me - I can remember making the beam engine & also the paddle engine - both motorised, and being delighted when they actually turned ( although not for long ). I looked for these models recently - the motorised operation had been dropped ( crank handle ), and they were at collectors prices, not for me!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Welcome to the forum Alexander. You will find a very wide range of subjects modelled here, more than anywhere else I should think, so your interests will more than fit in.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Alexander,
It's a warm welcome from ma as well. This is a great place to be with a wide range of interests. Always full of great advice and friendly banter.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN WELLCOME Alexander!! from me an jen
chris an jen

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Welcome to the forum alexander , feel free to ask anything youre not sure about . You say youre a Scale models shop user , then you’ll know all about the great service .Addar Ship in a bottle ? Were they the ones that came with a two piece plastic bottle ? If so I remember making one of those as a kid .The two part bottle sort of defeating the object of a ship in a bottle really !:smiling5:

AlexBB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Welcome to the forum alexander , feel free to ask anything youre not sure about . You say youre a Scale models shop user , then you’ll know all about the great service .Addar Ship in a bottle ? Were they the ones that came with a two piece plastic bottle ? If so I remember making one of those as a kid .The two part bottle sort of defeating the object of a ship in a bottle really !:smiling5:

Yep the ones with the 2 part bottles lol...

I remember doing the Jaws one and a couple of Planet of the Apes ones... wish I had them now lol...

The attached images may bring back memories...

addar-jaws-super-scenes-1974_1_2f6133d23d086a8d06e90c89b3abd716.jpgSuper_Scenes_Planet_Of_The_Apes_Jail_Wagon_Model_Figure_Kits_aaeb3009-22b1-4163-98a5-476620f4a...jpgSuper_Scenes_Planet_Of_The_Apes_Tree_House_Model_Figure_Kits_c3d82b94-0b79-4af0-859d-6e7755559...jpg

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Welcome Alexander! I hope you find lots on this forum to entertain, amaze and (perhaps) educate!
Steve

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Howdy Alexander.....welcome to the asylum!! We are all "normal" here...just ask us :tongue-out3: I'm looking forward to seeing what you post up in the build threads.
Rick H.

AlexBB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
I can remember making the beam engine & also the paddle engine - both motorised, and being delighted when they actually turned ( although not for long ).

Hiya Dave,
The Beam Engine is one of my favourites TBH... When I was kid a mates granded had built him one and when I went to his house he would set it to run for us to watch, absolutely fascinated me.

Here is the last one I built, not perfect but I am happy with it...

85048537-408B-4627-A704-FC7DA08843C2.jpeg

FD2F341A-A5DB-4940-BA40-3C0555C074AA.jpeg

2656A843-6FB6-4824-919A-8AEA72318326.jpeg

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hiya Dave,
The Beam Engine is one of my favourites TBH... When I was kid a mates granded had built him one and when I went to his house he would set it to run for us to watch, absolutely fascinated me.

Here is the last one I built, not perfect but I am happy with it...

View attachment 445023

View attachment 445025

View attachment 445026
Alexander,
the originals were driven by electric motor - the motor stub shaft pressed against the flywheel, with a rubber sleeve to improve the friction. I think that the motor itself was pivoted, so that it's weight helped the contact. The paddle engine was similar - but more complex, as there were a lot more bearings!
In my younger days, I made a live steam beam engine ( Lady Stephanie , castings by Reeves ). I was an engineer officer in the Merchant Navy & had access to all the machine tools & metal stock needed ( it took me three years ).
I never fancied the steam locomotive, and I can;t even remember seeing one completed!
Dave

AlexBB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
the originals were driven by electric motor - the motor stub shaft pressed against the flywheel, with a rubber sleeve to improve the friction. I think that the motor itself was pivoted, so that it's weight helped the contact.

Hi Dave,
This is one of the originals, took me a long time to track one down on eBay for a reasonable price, complete with the original motor and shafts etc... You can just about see the drive shaft with rubber tube below the main fly wheel on the second pic.
The seller was horrified that I planned to build the kit lol...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting stuff. Even back in the day they were rare birds. I seem to remember having the Trevithick engine for a birthday as a nipper. I was a bit disappointed to be honest, not enough guns on it LOL…