HK Models 1/32 Do 335

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
This is really coming on very nice Steve and I really am pleased in the splinter pattern you have chosen.
With this Aircraft being mainly experimental I was thinking on the colour ref and with the war closing in on the luftwaffe wouldn't it be fair to say that not all Pfiells were painted the same ( lack of paint/ equipment etc.

It's just a theory but I remember the He162 Salamander I'm sure I read somewhere that these were sometimes not painted in RLM colours?

Your definatly creating a true masterpiece with this

Cheers

Robert
A good point, but here's my take on it.

An experimental aircraft like mine was much more likely to have been finished in the approved colours and scheme. All the parts came essentially from Dornier themselves and the camouflage was all part of the testing and development program. This was all under the immediate control of the relevant RLM offices and the Luftwaffe. That's not to say things didn't go awry. On my example the wing tips are unpainted and on other examples everything from unpainted wing undersides to odd panels can be seen. There's no evidence for anything apart from the unpainted wing tips on mine.

When an aircraft went into production, or continued production in the last months of the war, it was being produced in a widely dispersed and sometimes seemingly chaotic system. State of the art fighters were being assembled in strange places, wood mills, sometimes little more than barns. The components came, many already painted, from numerous sub-contractors. This made the system much more difficult to supply, control and regulate. It was not unusual to see mis-matched schemes on many late war fighters.

As for the He 162, the official scheme was not a splinter but had been simplified as a production expedient. Basically one wing, most of the fuselage and horizontal stabiliser was to be one colour the other wing and stabiliser side another. Even this did not always happen and variations can be seen. However, I've never seen it suggested that the aircraft were not painted in RLM lacquers. These had been developed for use on aircraft and had properties appropriate to use on aircraft.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've spent the few hours available to me today on the wing tips. I've sprayed various shades of Alclad, you wouldn't want monotone silver wing tips. The new wing tips look quite striking on the model!

IMG_1606_zpshxw9pq5s.jpg

Here's a close up of one of the wing tips on the underside.

IMG_1605_zps5wyj6vul.jpg

The variations are subtle, I don't want it to look like a patchwork quilt.

Next up will be the putty visible on the joins. This I will simulate with paint, but what colour? Nobody seems to be sure what colour the various fillers used were. It shows up as a dark colour on B+W photos. I am going to use a red brown colour similar to the dope used on fabric surfaces which should look good. There is good evidence for this colour in putties used on other aircraft.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I managed a bit more today, granted an unexpected reprieve by SWMBO :smiling3:

I used the time to start masking and spraying the markings. So far I've managed the underside markings.

IMG_1607_zpsynp5i316.jpg

I'm using the masks from Maketar for this kit. They have behaved very well. Painted markings will always look better than decals because they are....errrr....painted on. Also, you can control the colour of the markings. My white is very, very slightly grey and the black is a little grey too, not that you can tell in the photo! It's a bit gloomy here and I'm no photographer :smiling3:

I like these subtle effects, I'm not a fan of radical fading and high lighting etc. but each to their own.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

Beautiful quality to this build Steve. Your painting skills are really top notch.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think that the most important single factor when painting models is to find a paint system that works for you. When painting the model you have to be able to concentrate on achieving the result you are seeking, and not be worrying about your nozzle blocking, paint splattering and all the other things that might go wrong.

I know I will never be able to paint like the top modellers around the world, all I can do is admire their work, but at least I can keep trying without worrying about the blo*dy paint :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got the rest of the markings sprayed and the wing tips 'puttied'.

IMG_1608_zpsouo0l4kt.jpg

IMG_1609_zpsjb2to6ej.jpg

These masks all worked very well but Maketar don't give you any instructions. That's fine if, like me, you've used masks before, if not then you'll be on a steep learning curve.

I do like painted markings but I still have a few decals to apply and I'll probably gloss the whole model for a bit of protection before I apply them.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Great work Steve I like the putty.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic work Steve , and informative and inspiring as usual. I had a 1/48 Pfeil (the monogram one) ages ago but sold it , I wish I hadnt now , this is making me want to do one !! The painted on markings look superb , Ive never tried Masks (probably because I usually work in smaller scales ) but if you get it right like yours then they really make a difference. cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've gloss coated the model which would usually leave me at a bit of a loose end, until SWMBO mentioned something about painting the bathroom. Quick as a flash I dragged this out, all the bits and pieces to be attached later. Obviously I'm going to be busy with this.

IMG_1611_zps76fmblyk.jpg

Talk about dodging a bullet :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got the decals on for the small stencils etc that I haven't sprayed and then knocked back the gloss with a mixture of Klear and an acrylic matte varnish. I've applied a little light weathering, this was an experimental aircraft attached to Germany's equivalent of Farnborough, not stuck in a muddy Russian field!

Having done that I though I might as well attach the undercarriage. It's the best engineered undercarriage I've attached to any aircraft model...period. 'Chapeau' to whoever designed it at HK Models. The doors etc do have a fairly a high fiddle factor, but nothing a bit of effing and blinding can't overcome :smiling3:

IMG_1614_zpsf3nz46sk.jpg

Having attached the undercarriage, which is more or less a click fit, though I did apply a few drops of CA glue, there comes a moment of truth. Anybody who has ever built an aircraft with tricycle undercarriage knows what I mean! Though the nose weights came with the kit there is always a bit of a worry when you first sit a model on its wheels.

IMG_1613_zpsnckuftc1.jpg

Lovely jubbley, slightly (a few grams) nose heavy so no danger of tail sitting or overloading the front wheel.

Incidentally the space in the front of the port wing is for a light. The instructions don't mention the lights at all, just the clear cover (part R6). The lights are actually part N12 which took me a while to find, but which I can now fit once painted.

Cheers

Steve

D

demon

that's really coming together Steve incidently what were the wing pylons for ?

Roger

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
that's really coming together Steve incidently what were the wing pylons for ?
Roger
They are cowlings for the 30mm cannon. The barrels aren't fitted yet.

Cheers

Steve

D

demon

Cheers Steve must have been formidable in combat although all too late

Roger