HMS Illustrious 1/350 PE?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
After seeing the Illustrious birthed in Portsmouth at the weekend I was amazed at the detail that was on this ship so I set about seeing if I can get the PE for it seeing as I have the Airfix 1/350 scale , I've had a look at white ensign and the cheapest they do is £46 but there is no pic to see what you get for that

So I was wondering if anyone can tell me or know if there is any other site I could check that I might of missed in my search

Any help is much appreciated :smiling3:

L

Laurie

Alan this site gives a picture of the PE and also a blow for blow account on what is in it.

www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/WEM+1350+HMS+IllustriousThe+Ship+PE+35132/5203/#.U2itN6KjQS8

This one gives the finished article where the builder has used PE.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?t=75633

Does not unfortunately give any exciting advice on the cost of PE.

Laurie

L

Laurie

Another Allan which may interest. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/50561-hms-illustrious-photo-etch-update-set/

A review which may be of interest.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I will just add that for the money you will get a LOT of brass!

L

Laurie

Yes you are right Ian. Actually £46 is cheap when the average cost is in the £70s range.

Laurie

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Search over ! On actually looking at the kit ( I've had for nearly two years ) and comparing the photos I took on Saturday I only need railings and I have some , no point in helicopter and harrier pe you won't tell the difference once painted , I learnt that from my Warspite build

Thanks anyway

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I'm starting my HMS Montrose tomorrow so Illustrious will have to wait for now it's been a good old while since I built a warship so I've got to ease myself back in :smiling3:

L

Laurie

Yesterday came over by sea from Jersey.

We passed through Portsmouth Harbour and there alongside all bare ans sad tied up along side The Illustrious.

Not realised before how small she is. Tiny. The passenger freighter we were on is only small to get in to St Helier harbour in Jersey and we dwarfed the Illustrious.

Amazing that ther sister ship managed to survive in the South Atlantic let alone fly off her 8 Harriers.

Not surprising that she is redundant as there is not an aircraft which will fit on her.

Even helicopter, even the Lynx would find it a nightmare.

Portsmouth Harbour now looks bare. 20 years ago the RN ships were moored bow to stern. they were also in places ramped three deep. it was an exciting harbour but now it is dead.

Pity as I still think the RN has a big job in this world.

Laurie

Last edited: