Hobby Boss 1/72 Seahawk

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Picked this up at a local charity shop a while ago. P1160940 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
They have a regular donor who donates kits with added extras - in this case a tube of cement (I left that in the shop), two Humbrol paints, a brush, and an emery board. Not the greatest bargain, but it's in a good cause!
P1160939 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
The brush isn't much good but it'll do for decal solutions.
Each sprue is in a separate sealed bag, with extra packing around the clear parts:
P1160936 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Nice finely recessed detail, and I like the horizontal divide for the fuselage and wings:
P1160941 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
The kit offers three different schemes, with plenty of decals:P1160937 [Desktop Resolution].JPGP1160938 [Desktop Resolution].JPGI'm not sure the free paints (Humbrol 156 and 1945) are correct for any of the schemes, but I'll use them somewhere!
Right, let's get on with it!
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Pete,
did this a couple of years back - nice simple model - don't think it mentions adding a noseweight, but you'll need it to prevent tailsitting!
Dave
ps the HMS Albion finish is incorrect! large serial numbers were applied on the underside of the wings only not top

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Pete,
did this a couple of years back - nice simple model - don't think it mentions adding a noseweight, but you'll need it to prevent tailsitting!
Dave
ps the HMS Albion finish is incorrect! large serial numbers were applied on the underside of the wings only not top
Thanks Dave, I'll bear that in mind. Anything else to look out for?
Pete

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The fuselage decal stripes may need a lot of decal juice to fit the top and bottom halves I think.

Cheers,
Richard

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I don't think I'll do the scheme with the stripes. Incidentally that one, XE375, was written off after the arrestor hook pulled out on landing! See https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?
id=154507
Dave, where did you put your nose weight? There doesn't seem to be any room!
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I don't think I'll do the scheme with the stripes. Incidentally that one, XE375, was written off after the arrestor hook pulled out on landing! See https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?
id=154507
Dave, where did you put your nose weight? There doesn't seem to be any room!
Pete
Pete,
I think I epoxied ball bearings behind the cockpit, as you have found out there's not any space in the nose, unless you use depleted uranium - or gold!
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That should be enough weight:
P1160942 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
I had to file quite a lot off the top of the intake vanes as they were stopping the upper and lower sections from closing properly. I might still have to reduce them some more but I thought I'd better get some white paint on while I still can.
P1160943 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
The jet pipes fitted OK. There are some heat deflectors to add to them but I'll do that at the same time as joining the upper and lower wings/fuselage parts.
Pete
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, the front of the fuselage is split horizontally, as you've seen. The two halves went together pretty well, with the exception of the trailing edge, which was too thick (as they usually are) and had a gap that needed some filler. The rear part of the fuselage is split vertically, and again, the two halves went together OK. Unfortunately the rear doesn't fit the front very well, leaving me with a dilemma - do I fill and sand until the join disappears, and lose a lot of detail, or just smooth it out a bit and put up with a step?
P1160944 [Desktop Resolution].JPGP1160945 [Desktop Resolution].JPGP1160946 [Desktop Resolution].JPGP1160947 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
I've started by applying some Mr Dissolved Putty, but it's going to need a lot more sanding and a lot more filling to remove the step.
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Is there a step between the two halves, or just a gap? If the latter, I think I would carefully scrape down the putty, trying to not damage the detail on both sides of it. With a step that you need to conceal, you probably have no choice but to fill, sand, and re-engrave, I suppose.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just caught up to this Peter......looks like a fun project so far. I'm sure you'll have it whipped into submission in no time. :thumb2: ;) Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH Pete im dissapointed that you aint gonna paint on the stripes as i have not ever seen one of these planes done in them an i think it will set the model as exceptenaly different from others ive seen
chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, the front of the fuselage is split horizontally, as you've seen. The two halves went together pretty well, with the exception of the trailing edge, which was too thick (as they usually are) and had a gap that needed some filler. The rear part of the fuselage is split vertically, and again, the two halves went together OK. Unfortunately the rear doesn't fit the front very well, leaving me with a dilemma - do I fill and sand until the join disappears, and lose a lot of detail, or just smooth it out a bit and put up with a step?
View attachment 440830View attachment 440831View attachment 440832View attachment 440833
I've started by applying some Mr Dissolved Putty, but it's going to need a lot more sanding and a lot more filling to remove the step.
Pete
Ah yes, I had the same problem - I lined up the exhaust fairings, so the step was top & bottom - easier access to the filler! , but whichever way you do it, it's a bit fiddly!
seahawk.jpg
here's mine ( 2019 ) - you can see the step on the top, there's a similar one on the bottom. I think there were a few panel lines to rescribe after filler, but not too many!
Dave