HobbyBoss 1/35 Gaz AAA cargo truck.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in, had to give up on mine , just could't cope with the chassis Andy, so will enjoy watching this done properly.:thumb2:

First Name
Andy
I'm in, had to give up on mine , just could't cope with the chassis Andy, so will enjoy watching this done properly.:thumb2:
I don't know about properly John but I'll give it my best as I did not think it was made up of so many small parts but I am used to that by now.

Andy.

Reactions: JR

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
What a cool truck. A mate had a '29 AA for a while but I never knew they went the extra axle.
That may have taken over from a GMC deuce and a half as " truck I'd most like to own".
I'm going to enjoy watching this, good luck with all those bits.

First Name
Andy
I thought this would give me a rest from tiny parts, wrong! there are even smaller bits in this box that on the Gecko Bedford and I am sure the people that design these kits have a warped sense of humour. However, we shall soldier on and I have also disregarded the build sequence to enable painting it properly.
50974509652_bb6539340d_b.jpg
I should have included something in the picture for scale as this is actually quite a small model.

Andy.

Last edited:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Take it that the cutting mat is graduated in 1cm squares?

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
What a great looking truck. Coming along nicely so far :thumb2:

Was going to say that you can count the squares on your mat ...it’s smaller than I’d of thought too.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Its no wonder then that I gave up Andy , couldn't agree more about the warped sence
of humour.
Looking at what you've acheived I think your over the worst hurdle.Well done .

First Name
Andy
Getting there slowly.
50993988128_5f192d0369_b.jpg
Just got to prime the bits and then get some paint on it, I did build it my way by putting the cab together with the side panels and bonnet so I can paint it all. Apart from the tiny bits the parts were very sharp with very little clean up to do although some of the sprue gates were in inconvenient places, the doors especially as the windows fit from the inside.
50994692061_7a05a7f866_b.jpg
50993992463_c4a5a85e8a_b.jpg
Not to worry I am sure it will be OK, for me at least.

Andy.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great work Andy seems taken in your stride, I dont know what the other chaps think because I'm sure its to do with there being a camp on each side of the river but with the parts count its trying to get as much detail and accuracy as possible for thoes that love that kind of thing ,whilst keeping it within the comfort of the pleasure modler (not ment to be a disparaging remark). My own thoughts are you don't display it on its roof so why bother if it can't be seen I dont even paint it then they make a massive faux-par? By over simplifying the cab wich you could leave open for all to see. Still enough of that as I said taken in your stride looking good bring on the paint. Dave

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
I'm hooked despite the fear that is being struck into my heart by all about how fiddly a kit it is. It seems to be a good value kit though !
Apparently Ford did build them for the the US, but mostly as a semi tractor. I'd love to have a go at a scratch build on that and make my head explode/eyes wear out. I'll post a pic with your permission, but in the mean time good luck, it's looking great.

edit Ford didn't build the semi tractors, they were modified by an outside company.

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
In May 1929 the Soviet Union signed an agreement with the Ford Motor Company. Under its terms, the Soviets agreed to purchase $13 million worth of automobiles and parts, while Ford agreed to give technical assistance until 1938 to construct an integrated automobile-manufacturing plant at Nizhny Novgorod. Production started on January 1, 1932, and the factory and marque was titled Gorkovsky Avtomobilny Zavod, or GAZ, but also displayed the "Ford" sign. GAZ's first vehicle was the medium-priced Ford Model A, sold as the GAZ- A, and a light truck, the Ford Model AA (GAZ-AA). GAZ-A production commenced in 1932 and lasted until 1936, during which time over 100,000 examples were built.

I've a book that I'm reading now about the American company that was approached to build the whole factory and housing. The Russian's needed the skill of Ford and the Miller building company to attempt such a project.
The building company was excepted by the Russian's as it had such a good track record in modern building techniques and costing. However it wasn't all plain sailing , the extreme weather , interpreters, bureaucracy and the inability to let the Americans get on with it and slow payments made it a project fraught with problems from the outset. The end result was however a marvel of engineering .
Sorry Andy for jumping in .

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
In May 1929 the Soviet Union signed an agreement with the Ford Motor Company. Under its terms, the Soviets agreed to purchase $13 million worth of automobiles and parts, while Ford agreed to give technical assistance until 1938 to construct an integrated automobile-manufacturing plant at Nizhny Novgorod. Production started on January 1, 1932, and the factory and marque was titled Gorkovsky Avtomobilny Zavod, or GAZ, but also displayed the "Ford" sign. GAZ's first vehicle was the medium-priced Ford Model A, sold as the GAZ- A, and a light truck, the Ford Model AA (GAZ-AA). GAZ-A production commenced in 1932 and lasted until 1936, during which time over 100,000 examples were built.

I've a book that I'm reading now about the American company that was approached to build the whole factory and housing. The Russian's needed the skill of Ford and the Miller building company to attempt such a project.
The building company was excepted by the Russian's as it had such a good track record in modern building techniques and costing. However it wasn't all plain sailing , the extreme weather , interpreters, bureaucracy and the inability to let the Americans get on with it and slow payments made it a project fraught with problems from the outset. The end result was however a marvel of engineering .
John, thanks for the background info. Very interesting. Andrew

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John, thanks for the background info. Very interesting. Andrew
Your welcome Andrew. It's been one of those things that I enjoy reading about Russian history, not of the tales of their bully boy leadership !

First Name
Andy

No worries John, nice to get a bit of background on something I am building, many thanks to you and all the others for your comments.

Andy.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Making excellent progress. I reckon planning the painting alongside construction will save a lot of difficulties further down the line.
Jim

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Your welcome Andrew. It's been one of those things that I enjoy reading about Russian history, not of the tales of their bully boy leadership !
A lot of their industry was either old Western machinery, where the factories were retooling and scrapping the old machines, or as in this case, buying in expertise - then developing from that 'base' to their needs.