Honda NSR 500 Doohan build

F

funkyrimpler

Hi guys,

im brand new to the forum (ive just dropped a hello in the intros section). ive recently returned to the hobby (after 25+ away, how things have changed!!)..i made a Ducati 916 a few years ago, which took me 2 yrs to compete..ahem...(i actually own a real one, so nice for reference!) ...anyway heres a few pics of my nearly competed Honda NSR 500...my 1st 'real build' ive made a few glaring mistakes, but ive learnt a lot from this build...im still struggling with decals (which was ALWAYS an total bug bare of mine years ago)....

even before the paints dry on this one ive started my next project so i'll be putting some further pics up if anyone is interested!

Apologies for shaky camera work or distracting backgrounds!

cheers

Si

View attachment 50466

View attachment 50467

View attachment 50468

View attachment 50469

View attachment 50470

View attachment 50471

P4250025.JPG

P4250028.jpg

P4250023.JPG

P4250026.JPG

P4250030.jpg

P4250027.jpg

A

AJay

Very nice looking bike, Si. It looks like a really detailed and realistic build. Look forward to seeing more :smiling3:

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

M

mobear

try and get some micro sol for the decals gives you more of a chance to rid the wrinkles,apart from that `awesome`

mobear

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks great, have you used aftermarket bits or is it all out of box.

Ian M

F

funkyrimpler

heres a few of the latest pics. Should be completed tomorrow all being well...ive got about a million and one small detail touch ups to do etc and theres a few imperfections that are part saving, most of which happened in the very final stages of assembly. i hope you enjoy the pics!View attachment 47661View attachment 47662View attachment 47663View attachment 47664View attachment 47665

View attachment 50568

View attachment 50569

View attachment 50570

View attachment 50571

View attachment 50572

P4280049.jpg

P4280051.jpg

P4280053.JPG

P4280054.JPG

P4280055.JPG

F

funkyrimpler

\ said:
Looks great, have you used aftermarket bits or is it all out of box.Ian M
all out of the box ian. when ive got a bit more experience and can justify it, i'll start getting into upgrading various parts. at the moment i dont feel that ive got the skills to make best use of the detail parts. Can i retro fit any of these parts do you think? i deliberately didnt cement the chain as this is an area id like to improve. just wish the damn decal didnt let it down.

@Mobear

i did use microsol and microset (ive decided im not a big fan of microset), but some of the decals just didnt seem to fit well.

i guessing that as the bike is a 98 model, the kitcould be quite old. the decals were certainly very, very fragile.

M

m1ks

Very good looking model, especially if you're new to it all too.

Decals differ in reaction to Microsol, but it's about the best decal softener there is, sometime multiple applications are required and gentle rolling with a cotton bud once they wrinkle can help seat them down.

F

funkyrimpler

\ said:
Very good looking model, especially if you're new to it all too.Decals differ in reaction to Microsol, but it's about the best decal softener there is, sometime multiple applications are required and gentle rolling with a cotton bud once they wrinkle can help seat them down.
thanks for the cmpliment m1ks..i tried rolling the cotton bud over the decals but to no avail. theyve left a few annoying wrinkles or even folded under themselves here and there. also, on this bike, some of the decals are HUGE and cover a very contoured or curved surface which makes in very difficult to control. ive noticed too that some decals tend to flake, particularly around very sharp angles such as tucking inside the fairing behind the front wheels..ive had to conceal this with a brush of paint over the top. sadly ive got one of the side decal slightly out of alignment..it fitted perfectly as cut but isnt in the correct position compared to the upper panel. Do decals occasionally come incorrectly sized or over sized? If so, is there a rememdy?

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
generally decals are in my experiance spot on, the older the model the more brittle they get - but i would be happy with your bike it looks the part nice build and each one you do it will become easier tyres were always my down fall but like most things the more you do the better you become (i always scan my decals now just incase that way you can print another set if required)

simon

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Big decals that have to cover a complex shape are often best cut up... It can be a bit scary at times and can go very wrong but sometimes its the only way to get them down and flat!

Ian M

F

funkyrimpler

im SOOO bloody annoyed..just spent 15 trying to fit the lower fairing onto the bike and with an age of creaking and bending parts, and bits falling off it just simply will not fit...just to rub salt into the wound parts of the decals have started to tatter off...really p1ssed off...might just chalk this one up to experience and hoof it down the garden.

T

treyzx10r

Great looking NSR and wow you've got an MV and a Duc,sweet!!!

F

funkyrimpler

\ said:
Great looking NSR and wow you've got an MV and a Duc,sweet!!!
cheers dude..i'm impressed that you recognise the MV!! Duke's the best though. i've had her for 7 yrs and she looks like she's just rolled out of a museum.

C

CDW

Nice to see the Agusta still has the decent wheels on mate.

a few of the chaps that had one in the midlands when i lived there either had them anodised gold or changed them for the ten spoke jobbies .... much nicer in the silver 5 star in my opinion.