How do I paint missile stripes?

O

os40

Like so.

I'm finding it IMPOSSIBLE.

Also, how do I paint the tips and the wings?

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi os40 the sripes on the weapons are usualy decals that come with the kit but if you have to paint them yourself its 2 ways

1) using a very steady hand and fine paint brush

2) mask the missile leaving a gap where you want the stripe when paints dry do the same to the next and so on

As for the fins i paint them first then mask them then paint the rest

Hope this helps

E

Edgar Brooks

Look for decal sheets of stripes of the required colour; Microscale and Hannant's have done them, usually in various widths.

Edgar

T

tecdes

A thought oS40. Wonder if strips of electrical insulation tape may be an answer.

Colours may be a problem & you may have to search but there is an incredible variety.

The join hidden underneath or in a place you will not be able to view.

Also car lining tape comes in numerous colours. Not sure what scale you are at there & how it would negotiate the circumference of the missile.

Laurie

C

CDW

Tamiya used to produce some fine-width "pinstriping" for their RC cars in several colours, is that still available?

M

m1ks

I read of one technique where the builder made a 'jig' from a piece of dowel, (read, piece of dowel with a cross cut in the top), fitted to a dremel, slot in back end of missile so it's held by the fins, spin slowly while holding a fine brush dipped in the appropriate colour paint to the area you need striping, apparently its worked superbly for him and the pics that accompanied the article looked good.

S

seaspray

i just spray the model but mine are boats and i use masking tape for a model like yours I'd use Tamiya tape as its not so sticky as much as the masking I use. Also I cut slices of the tape to cover up the area I don't want to be the top colour so I spray or brush the stripe colour first. Yes there is something by Tamiya to make lines and colours can't remember it. I use the Halford's paint which are Acrylic. but will be switching to Humbrol model paints some.

B

Bunkerbarge

A problem with electrical tape is the gum is not always very permanent as well as the fact that the tape is elestic and it is almost impossible to avaoid stretching it when you apply it. With time it will return to a natural shape and you could end up with a gap. Sealing will help.

Masking tape is probably a bit on the thick side.

My own suggestion would be to make a decal. This can either be a ready made stripe as has been suggested or get hold of a large old decal such as a roundel or something and, using a new scalpel blade, cut the stripe out yourself. Then you can make just the width you want.