How do you like to see models presented?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As the title. Do you have a preference for how models are presented on the site? I usually photograph mine with a base and a backdrop, sometimes with a figure or two for scale. Sometimes I just have a bit of fun.

Here's an example of a bit of fun with a little 1/72 Fw 190.

IMG_1213_zps4anqyesg.jpg

And here's the same model, more traditionally photographed against a white background.

IMG_1516_zps4lkiectg.jpg

This isn't about the photographic skills (or lack thereof in my case!) or even the model, just about which style of presentation you prefer.

As it's about a preference I hope not to start a row! Everyone is entitled to an opinion which should be respected.

Cheers

Steve

D

dubster72

Personally I like to see both. Firstly just the finished model so I can concentrate on that & then in some kind of scenic setting or diorama.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
To be honest if it's a diorama or vignette then like your fist picture Steve but if it's just a solo build then like the first one.

F

Fenlander

I think your two pictures demonstrate the positives of both. It is a long time since I felt I had a model good enough to set up my lights and background but I do like a good clean studio shot. This maybe down to me being a photographer longer than being a modeller.

To me, and please, this is just my personal opinion, I have seen far too many really well built models let down a bit by less abely created dioramas and, especially, figures. ThIs is one of the main reasons I do not build dioramas, I am simply not yet good enough at it to make it enhance rather than drag down, a model.

So yes, if the diorama and figures etc are as good as the model, bring it on. If, like me, they would not be then stick to the studio shot.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve's choices are ideal. Take yer' pick. Stand alone is better for showing off the model, as your eyes stay focused on the subject.

Whereas a diorama can make the model more 'natural'. A diorama doesn't mean a complex build. Take a look at Steve's above - a relatively simple scene, yet does the job just as well.

Here's something that might be worth considering for future presentation of your models......

Getting down to the nitty gritty, one thing I have noticed is the amount of finished models showing a washing machine plus soap powder, a garden table, a lounge sofa etc. in the back ground...this for me spoils the model. I don't understand why a simple piece of card, an old sheet or similar is not put behind the finished article.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks for the input so far.

Ron does make a good point about thinking what's in the background. A simple white background is not difficult to do, obviously a base, scenic backdrop etc might take a little more effort. Both are better than a washing machine, with or without soap powder :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've just re-read my initial post. To some it might come over as a little abrupt, that wasn't my intention.

I was trying to put across that we all do our best when making our models, so it seems a pity that for the sake of just a couple of minutes thought and placing something behind your model, it will not be presented at it's best.....

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I dont mind either type of presentation, they both show a bit of thought and care has been taken before the shutter is snapped. Personally speaking I always try and give a model a good background ,ie. one that doesnt detract from the model being photographed. Sometimes its a plain coloured backing , white ,grey or black etc. or sometimes I place it on a piece of mock grass and try and get a nice bit of sky behind it. If a model is photographed with something in the background thats nothing to do with it , it can only distract the viewer which is a shame. tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Forgot to mention too - good light is essential for good photos , get as much light on the subject as you can , or natural outdoor light .

S

Stevekir

There seem to me to be several ways to show a model:

1. Purity, formal. Plain white around the model (no background noticeable), No or little shadow, stunningly pin-sharp and well exposed photo. High sharpness requires a good lens. My D3100 plus kit lens(more-or-less bottom of the SLR range two latter models). The lens is is not sharp enough for this way. (Have a look at The Migrant's pics., for instance, this is one). Requires artificial lighting and possibly a light tent. This invites close inspection of the model itself without any distraction:

IMG_9845_1K_zpsxs7c6trc.jpg

2. As 1 but photographically superimposed against a background of photo of a stately home or other suitable image, complete with a shadow painted in. I think this can be very effective in setting the context:

Full View.jpg

3. On a plain surface such as grass with an illustrated card background (like Steve's first pic).

4. In a well-built diorama which offers the same advantage as 2:

DSC_0592.JPG

5. Detail:

Lorry.jpg

6. Forced Perspective (table top against a real background):

mini-3.jpg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
of course this all presumes that you have the ability to take decent quality pictures lol

i really struggle for a variety of reasons

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
of course this all presumes that you have the ability to take decent quality pictures lol
I think that's true for some of the pictures, but most that are posted above are so good and convincing due more to the thought that has gone into posing the model than to any brilliant technical ability.

I reckon that the first (stunning biplane) image is the only one definitely beyond my technical ability and probably did require some lighting etc. It is exactly the sort of photograph which shows why models are usually shown this way in magazines etc. Nothing detracts from the model.

I might struggle to capture fine detail in a really close up shot (truck) but even a decent compact camera, which I do own, should be able to capture that in more competent hands.

Most can be done with a phone camera, the real skill is in the composition. It's an extreme example of not having that washing machine and soap powder in the background but substituting something utterly realistic.

I think that's really the most important point to come out of this thread. You don't have to have a fantastic camera or tremendous technical ability to take decent pictures of your models. A little thought, a plain backdrop or base and scenic drop, whatever you like best,it's your model, is all you need. I take all my photographs in natural light, so no extra lighting required. I do have a conservatory where I can do this in relative comfort :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

D

dubster72

\ said:
i really struggle for a variety of reasons
You certainly don't need an expensive camera to take decent pictures Paul. I use a cheap digital camera & I've been complimented on the quality of my pictures.

The 2 most important things are good lighting & a tripod or some other way of mounting the camera.

Even with a cheap camera, effective lighting will allow the lens to resolve detail better & having the camera fixed in place prevents detail being lost due to camera shake. Even a tiny amount smears the image.

I'm with Ron, in that it's disappointing to see a model that's had a lot of time & effort devoted to it, only to be photographed with very little care.

To my mind, the process of photography should be as important as the building.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
\ said:
To my mind, the process of photography should be as important as the building.
to me its not......im a modelmaker not a photographer

i always do my best to take good pictures but i do struggle......i always use a white background cos i agree with others that a plain background is best, i still get people complaining cos my pics are dark.....or too white......i always try to use natural light but thats not always possible, especially at this time of year....at the minute i just do not have the room for a proper set up, once had one of those light cubes and found it too much trouble (and the cat loved to hide in it lol)

*waits to be shot down in flames lol*

but i do agree that a little bit of thought as to background counts a lot........at the minute i have a scruffy work bench simply due to lack of room and have got into the habit of using the instruction sheets as a background when doing wip pics simply cos i think its relevant...when doing finished pics i have to clear the bench and stick up some white poster paper to use

i like sharing pics cos that is part of the process but like my modelmaking it isnt always up to the same standard as others

as an aside i once joined (a now dead) model car forum.........it used to be considered a top forum for some reason but i left due to the draconian admin........in the 'rules' was a big section about photos..........had to be in focus and lit correctly, had to be within minimum and maximum sizes, you were not allowed to show a cluttered work bench!.....was even example photos of 'right and wrong'...pictures would get removed by admin if you dared to disobey his rules.....that was a weird forum

know someone who had the habit of taking pics outside on top of his wheelie bin......became a running gag in the end til he changed his habit

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Paul, I think the important point is that you don't have to be David Bailey or Mario Testino to take a decent photograph of your model. To produce those beautifully lit and detailed photographs fit to be published in a magazine probably is beyond the ability of most of us here. It's certainly way beyond what I can do!

Like you I use natural light, and that is a bit of an issue at this time of year, the first thing I do when I get up in the morning is turn on the lights, and even model building is not always possible. A little thought, like your white background, goes a long way to showing the model nicely.

WIP shots for me are just snapshots. I usually take them on my workbench which happens to be white, but the object is usually to show some stage of a build and I certainly don't make the same effort with them as with the 'finished' pictures. I usually clear the tools, dirty pieces of kitchen roll and paint tins out of the way, but that's about it :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

Most, if not all now, of my WIP pictures are taken with my iPhone or iPad. I do have two constant light soft boxes and a flash softbox to use with my Nikon D3300 but it is such a faf setting them up. Once I get back to a better standard of modelling then I will go down the studio shot route for final pics.

J

john dutfield

Setting up a little 'studio' for taking pics is much easier than it seems. Any digital camera will do the job provided that you can have some control over how much is in focus in the picture. D of F (Depth of Field) relates to the aperture used on the lens. The higher the number the more in focus.

I f you can make the adjustments, then I'd suggest:

ISO 800 or 1600

An aperture of at least f8 (f11 or f16 will be better in most cases)

NO flash. (Pros can do this, but if you were a pro, you'd have skipped past this post :smiling3: )Use daylight. Put a table by a good north facing window if possible, ideally with a net curtain to soften the 'sunlight' OR, a good quality day light bulb in a reading lamp or two.

For backgrounds I'd start with plain. NOT white, it upsets the camera metering. Beige, mid blue or mid grey PAPER rolls (go to the Art store and buy an A1 sheet of sugar paper and roll it to avoid creases).

Pin the paper so that a gentle curve rises above your model and under it. Move the camera until no distracting other background intrudes, light to avoid harsh shadows (tissue paper over the lamps if it's too bright) and snap away.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There's some good points that I can take on board above. No more white backgrounds for a start!

Rather than tissue paper over a light I use a parasol inside the conservatory 'over' the sun :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

S

Stevekir

\ said:
i always do my best to take good pictures but i do struggle......i always use a white background cos i agree with others that a plain background is best, i still get people complaining cos my pics are dark.....or too white......i always try to use natural light but thats not always possible, especially at this time of year....at the minute i just do not have the room for a proper set up, once had one of those light cubes and found it too much trouble (and the cat loved to hide in it lol)
Here is the setup I used to produce the recent pictures of my Rusty Box:

DSC02997a.jpg

DSC_0227-2.jpg

It took about 35 secs. to set up. The paper is A4 photocopying paper, the back one propped up against various modelling tools, the front one just laid on top. The lamp is my desk lamp, 11 W flourescent. My camera (hand held) is a fairly high quality compact point-and-shoot (no adjustments needed), 5 years old. I am sure my wife's equivalent compact, much cheaper, could do as good a job.

A plane or tank might need four pieces of paper, probably sellotaped on the back to keep in position. Add another 75 sec. to the setup time. Making a cup of tea takes longer.