How do you like to see models presented?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
My photography is a real weakness for me, for one thing I only use my iphone and for another I have never got to set up a decent background. Perhaps when I am settled in the new man-cave I will do something about it.

D

Deleted member 3568

Sorry I am guilty of the washing machine (with and without soap powder) the lounge (with sofa or chair) the garden (with assorted garden furniture) in fact I'm guilty on all counts. Personally I always like a model on some sort of base or background, in my defence I do (or have recently) tend to build large subjects so not so easy to have a clear background, I do try to photograph my finished models with more care, and tend to used my dslr for that, whereas I use my phone camera for the wip shots, will definitely put more thought into my background now though, thanks for pointing out what I suppose should have been obvious really.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Here is the setup I used to produce the recent pictures of my Rusty Box: It took about 35 secs. to set up.
Take away the light and use a piece of A3 paper and that's exactly how I took the second Fw 190 photograph in the original post. As you say, it took less than a minute to set up. Obviously setting up with a base and scenic backdrop etc takes a little longer, but still only a few minutes.

I believe that having spent weeks (or months :smiling3: ) building a model spending a few minutes trying to take some decent photographs of it is a justifiable use of my time.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Sorry I am guilty of the washing machine (with and without soap powder) the lounge (with sofa or chair) the garden (with assorted garden furniture) in fact I'm guilty on all counts.
Guilty? They are your models and you can photograph them upside down in a telephone box if you want :smiling3:

I hope the thread will help us all to take some better photos, just with a little time and thought and definitely without fancy and expensive equipment, but it's up to each individual. Of course if you fancy the telephone box........ ;)

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
As Steve points out Ken, they are your models to do as you please. In fact, I find it very interesting seeing what washing powder people use:smiling3:

Good call on the telephone box Steve - as long as whoever goes in there uses the directory as a backdrop.........How's that for showing my age?!

S

stuart.c.82

As someone new/ just returning to model building I like the studio style shot (clear white background) as I can see the skills you use/I'm trying to recreate rather than my eye wandering off into the scene.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
For backgrounds I'd start with plain. NOT white, it upsets the camera metering. Beige, mid blue or mid grey PAPER rolls (go to the Art store and buy an A1 sheet of sugar paper and roll it to avoid creases).
Some great advice coming out of this conversation. I use an off-white background; I started using white but as you said John it upsets the camera, no two shots are the same.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
As someone new/ just returning to model building I like the studio style shot (clear white background) as I can see the skills you use/I'm trying to recreate rather than my eye wandering off into the scene.
Welcome to the forum Stuart. Lots of friendly talented people eager to help.

P

PabsTheGeek

Interesting...

I'm a bit of an amature photographer (https://500px.com/pablo2008jedi) never got in to still life stuff, but I plan to use my built mobels to help prictice that art.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Interesting...
I'm a bit of an amature photographer (https://500px.com/pablo2008jedi) never got in to still life stuff, but I plan to use my built mobels to help prictice that art.
A lot of very good photos there.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I reckon it depends on what you're trying to show. If it's a build thread where you're doing pictures of sub assemblies, or just to show details of the completed model, then a plain background is a must. If you're trying to show how realistic and true-to-life your finished model is, you have to have a realistic background - whether that's photoshopped or built as a model base doesn't matter.

Just at random, Chris2681 posted this:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/1-35-russian-stz-5-tractor-and-122mm-gun.33469/

The plain background enables you to focus on the kit itself and the pictures on the base put it nicely into context.

Both rely on the overall quality of your photography though.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Here is the setup I used to produce the recent pictures of my Rusty Box:
View attachment 144626 View attachment 144627

It took about 35 secs. to set up. The paper is A4 photocopying paper, the back one propped up against various modelling tools, the front one just laid on top. The lamp is my desk lamp, 11 W flourescent. My camera (hand held) is a fairly high quality compact point-and-shoot (no adjustments needed), 5 years old. I am sure my wife's equivalent compact, much cheaper, could do as good a job.

A plane or tank might need four pieces of paper, probably sellotaped on the back to keep in position. Add another 75 sec. to the setup time. Making a cup of tea takes longer.
I agree with Steve, turn the dining room table cloth over {to the white fleece side} lay down a white foam board, turn up the chandelier, plus one of my bench lights {a 60 watt bulb} for some side lighting

I use a Kodak Easy-Share V11003 digital cam {and by the way so does Chris--MY camera:mad:} Seem to have the camera down pat and do try to not have too much background clutter

But I do know I can be much more creative with my pics, outdoor backgrounds intrigue me but not this time of year BRRRR!........Jim:smiling3: