How do you seal a wash?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi guys, I need to pick someone's brains again.

I'm painting some small figures and I've run into a problem. I've painted them with acrylics and then sealed them with clear floor polish to get a gloss finish. I used UMP water based wash and cleaned the excess with a dampened cotton bud as suggested. I was well pleased with the results, but now I want to seal the wash and remove the gloss finish with a matt varnish. I've applied Vallejo matt varnish with a brush on a couple of them but because it's water based, it's removed most of the wash and smeared the rest all over the place.

So far, the only idea I've had is to spray a matt varnish. I have used Humbrol in the past but the last few times I used it, I got a white coating everywhere. I know this is usually down to not shaking the can enough, but I tried dunking the can in warm water then shaking 'til both my arms fell off and that didn't help.

Any suggestions?

D

dubster72

You buy an airbrush Dave! ;)

But seriously, I'd go with Ian's suggestion. I know you've brushed on the gloss coat, but try a rattle can gloss which is far more user-friendly than the matt version & then brush on the Vallejo matt.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
just spray another clear coat over it then when dry if you want then you can brush on matt
Could I brush another coat of clear or would that take away the wash?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
You buy an airbrush Dave! ;)
But seriously, I'd go with Ian's suggestion. I know you've brushed on the gloss coat, but try a rattle can gloss which is far more user-friendly than the matt version & then brush on the Vallejo matt.
I got an A/B Patrick. I just can't use it at 4:00 am which was when I was doing these figures!

D

dubster72

\ said:
I got an A/B Patrick. I just can't use it at 4:00 am which was when I was doing these figures!
Ha-ha so you're another insomniac like me!? You need a fridge compressor - I can use mine anytime without disturbing the neighbours :smiling3:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Could I brush another coat of clear or would that take away the wash?
Thats the problem Dave with it being a liquid and with you brushing it on, it will always re-hydrate some of the wash as you brush. You could try dipping the figures into the clear but that all depends on how big your figures are.

Or just forget the neighbours and spray it :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
So spraying is the best way to go then. Maybe I should think about sleeping at night and modelling during the day? Seems an odd way to go about it but ......

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Yeah, get a rattle-can of matt varnish or sealant and spray over the top once all dry, that will seal it Dave.

D

dubster72

\ said:
So spraying is the best way to go then. Maybe I should think about sleeping at night and modelling during the day? Seems an odd way to go about it but ......
You do get the benefit of sunlight that way Dave!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
You do get the benefit of sunlight that way Dave!
Too much of that stuff and I start turning to dust!