How many Builds on the go at one time?

Easyrider5258

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Just wondering how builds you have going at once? have a lull in my 2 current builds waiting for paints in post and fresh paint to cure, have other kits in stash I could make a start on or maybe 2 on the go is enough?

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Totally depends on what you want to do,I like to have a couple on the go at the same time, mainly to keep my interest fresh if I get bogged down on one of them.
Currently though,I have a King Tiger to finish on a base,a WW1 Albatross,a WW2 Russian 16,a Revell Jaguar AND a He 111 all on the go!!:flushed::tears-of-joy:
BUT... who cares?!!... They'll all get done in time... I don't intend dying just yet!!:tongue-out2:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've found doing two at once a game changer ,not having to wait for any of the usual delaying tactics a kit can throw at you i just switch sides to the other build and visa versa ,I do though try and keep them roughly the same shade current build being dunkel gelb? That sandy german stuff and a Italian sandy colour that way once airbrushed up I only need the same finishing/ weathering stuff on the bench for both builds but as Andy says as long as they get finished does it alter. Dave

• Wow
Reactions: JR

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Unlike David I can only cope with one, thought as I normally only do dioramas it may have several differing sections that make the whole.
Indeed John....
A diorama,imho,is basically lots of separate builds put together, therefore, several "kits",(be it manufactured or scratch built),on the go at once :thumb2:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Umm... Eight
Two 1/8 figures, with a third by tonight, three 1/72 biplanes, 28mm one tank and two trucks...
I have too much stuff...

• Wow

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have just the one because I know I'd mess up if I was doing two at the same time.
I do have a couple of kits waiting to be started but I won't touch them until my current one is done. I really admire people who have many kits on the go at once, but it's not something I could do.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Ive always got a few on the go,to many sometimes thats how i end up with many shelf queens lol

• Wow

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very rare to have two kits on the go at once. Quite common to have a kit going and some figures on the side though.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Just one for me. Partly because I'm new to the hobby but mainly because I always seem to have other things to do. Even being retired I find managing to find time to spend time on my model fairly difficult.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Think I've lost count - normally two or three, but with all that's happening, the Shelf of Doom seems to be absorbing the major part of my effort :anguished:
Steve

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Had a word with my solicitor, his advice ' no comment ' just incase i incriminate myself.

Needless to say a 'few'. But mind elsewhere and the mojo last seen in Zanzibar!!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I tend to have a couple on the go. Ideally one build and one in paint.

I try not to start too many at once though as I'll get immersed in the new one and forget about the old one (I have several unfinished projects as proof of that)

Easyrider5258

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks for all the replies,
Going to stick with two max and not start another yet, had a problem with the decals on the Airfix spit, messed up fuselage lettering so delicate, also upper wing roundels to far out, got hold of another set of decals by buying another Airfix spitfire kit (cheap), ( I can now build the bare metal post war version later) removed old roundels with vinegar and sellotape tips from this forum and sorted fuselage lettering now got a bit of repainting to do before applying the wing roundels in correct position, happy days!

Problems with decals maybe caused by using micro set / sol to liberally making decals too soft and delicate / fragile?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks for all the replies,
Going to stick with two max and not start another yet, had a problem with the decals on the Airfix spit, messed up fuselage lettering so delicate, also upper wing roundels to far out, got hold of another set of decals by buying another Airfix spitfire kit (cheap), ( I can now build the bare metal post war version later) removed old roundels with vinegar and sellotape tips from this forum and sorted fuselage lettering now got a bit of repainting to do before applying the wing roundels in correct position, happy days!

Problems with decals maybe caused by using micro set / sol to liberally making decals too soft and delicate / fragile?
Are you using the right solution at the right time? It’s blue for sliding them around, and red to get them settled in over the detail when they are dry. Once the red goes on you can’t touch them until they are dry again because it makes them very fragile.

Easyrider5258

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Are you using the right solution at the right time? It’s blue for sliding them around, and red to get them settled in over the detail when they are dry. Once the red goes on you can’t touch them until they are dry again because it makes them very fragile.
Probably my fault, first kit for 40 years and first experience with these setting solutions, steep learning curve, relying on info on here and the web to learn:smiling:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No worries Mark, that’s why I thought I’d say it. The instructions on the bottles are not really that clear……another trick is to use a wet paintbrush to move the decals around or unfold them. I always moisten the model surface first so the decals can be positioned. If you don’t they can grip the model and then tear when you try to slide them. Last hint for now, gloss varnishing the area where the decals are going can also help as it’s a smoother surface finish.