How to cut very thin hollow tubing??

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning all

I have got some 0.3 mm hollow tubing from John, this will act as conduit with 0.2mm copper wire inside as the electrical wiring on the Stugs

Is there a way to cut it to length without crimping the ends???

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Lay it flat on a surface, gently press the sharp edge of a knife against the tubing, and use that edge to roll the tubing backward and forward over the surface. This should cut through it, but you’ll probably need to practice a bit so you’ll make the cut in one place rather than moving sideways with the blade.

Instead of cutting all the way through, you can probably snap the tubing after making a shallow cut. Again, test to see if this is actually the case :smiling3:

If neither of these works to avoid crimped edges, put a metal rod inside the tubing and then cut as I described above. The tighter the fit, the better.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
many thanks all

not feeling too well this afternoon so if ok tomorrow will have a go and let you know

appreciated

bob
:thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I would combine Neil and Jakkos ideas. Put the wire inside, then cut it with a sharp blade (I use a scalpel) by rolling it. The wire inside will stop it collapsing.....another more complicated way is to fill it with solder, cut it, then melt the solder back out....

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Tim, will ruin it in the morning lol

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
JLC razor saw every time for me - brass, copper, aluminium, plastic, no problem

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
The wire in the tube method worked well thanks, but trying to bend the tube in a right angle from the fender down the side of the body then another bend very, very close to the first on as it then goes to the lights on the front is proving a nightmare

might have to stick with copper or lead wire

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
The wire in the tube method worked well thanks, but trying to bend the tube in a right angle from the fender down the side of the body then another bend very, very close to the first on as it then goes to the lights on the front is proving a nightmare

might have to stick with copper or lead wire
try making a jig from blocks of styrene- give it lots of time to set firm
try putting cotton thread inside and bending it to stop it collapsing- think plumbers pipe bender
and/or annealing it?
good luck Bob:flushed:
Neil

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Bob.
You only needs the ends open don’t you? If so, fill the tube with copper or brass wire, push it in far enough so the ends still look hollow, then carry out the fabrication. The wire will stop the tube walls collapsing when you bend the pipe. It will work like a plumbers spring if you’ve ever used one...

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
thanks Neil, my brain hurts lol

Hi Tim, only one end needs to be open, the wire comes out of the conduit into the lights/horn etc, the other end of the conduit just attaches to the back of the main headlights

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi Bob
Lots of choices.
Whatever you do, re open the tube with the point of your smallest round file tip.
Job done
Hope you feel better soon
Regards
Steve H

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Steve

its a very, very small hole, 2mm. Going to try various ideas till I find one for me

Thanks for asking Steve, off for another month, waiting list is 4 months plus to a see a consultant so going private as I have a health plan who will pay for it

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If you use a rat tailed file to open the hole, rotate it anti clockwise. If you go clockwise it will bind......

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thats a good one, thanks Tim

Saw that Tamiya do cables, but not that small, swines :tired:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name