HOW TO GET A PITTED CHROME LOOK. IDEAS PLEASE.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
This thread is to go along side my faded paintwork thread, as they are related to the same build.

The build is a 1/12 scale scooter, abandoned, faded paintwork, leaking oil etc, there is some chrome work, wheels, engine cover etc, what I would like to get is that pitted look, I know they may be too small. I was thinking of scuffing up the chrome and then adding some silver in places to depict wear then maybe some general muck to tone it down. This maybe the only answer but maybe you guys can come up with some others.

Thanks.

Si:smiling3:

F

fuma

Hi Si

If you do a search for pictures of pitted chrome, you should get some pretty good pics for inspiration!

Depending on what you are looking for you may have to drill or pierce some holes into your work for pitted look and or add filler to create a 'blistering' effect, paint with a silver or bright aluminium. You can also add in rust tones which can occur if the chrome plating has failed and the base material has become exposed.

Scuff marks can be created by roughing up the piece with a scalpel and or sandpaper then washing with a white paint and try to create a 'spatter' effect to 'tone' down the surrounding chrome area.

I'm assuming the parts you are looking at are already chromed? If not I've been playing around with painting with bright aluminium and buffing with my trusty rotary tool for a future project.

Hope this is of some help. Good Luck

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I work with chrome plated parts on Landing gears - chrome plate does not pit. The substrate material corrodes and causes the chrome to chip, break or flake off. On shock strut pistons the plate can be ripped or scraped off if the chrome surface contacts the gland nut or can be scratched by the same.

Any discontinuities that you see on chrome plating, e.g. Blistering or pimples are caused by a surface defect in the substrate material. Chrome plate is also porous.

As a matter of fact, I am currently in Vienna to assess a B767 main landing gear with corrosion under a chrome plated journal - I just rejected it for continued surface.

L

Laurie

Si a bit late missed it. Depends on the chrome. Good chrome is on to copper or it used to be on English Bikes. If you have a scratch you get a green verdigris at the scratch as the copper corrodes ie you do not get rust form ferrous metal. Early Japanese bikes had chrome on ferrous and they shed the chrome.

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Good chrome is on to copper or it used to be on English Bikes. If you have a scratch you get a green verdigris at the scratch as the copper corrodes ie you do not get rust form ferrous metal. Early Japanese bikes had chrome on ferrous and they shed the chrome.Laurie
Ferrous indicates the presence of iron, so it will rust if exposed. I think you meant non-ferrous metal for the English bike, Laurie. I remember my Hillman Avenger had chrome bumpers and it was a constant job after washing to thinly coat them in oil to get rid of the rust.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Superb help guys, thank you very much for the info, appreciate your time in this.

Si:smiling3: