How to get started with tanks?

P

Pkdrew01

Hi all.

I really like the look of some of the work you guys have done. I especially like the tanks, they look awesome with amazing detail. I'm new to models and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to which makes/brands of tank models are good and guide me to what tools etc I would need to get going.

Any help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to read this

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well to a total new beginner I would suggest a 1/35 scale for Tamiya. Not to bad price wise. Good detail, easy to build and normally fit well and build into a good model. Being they larger scale they are also easier to work on for untrained finger.

As for tools. A sharp knife, some fine sand paper, a couple of the wife's or mum's emery boards, the ones she does her nails with. oh and some glue.

Ian M

P

Pkdrew01

Thanks for the reply Ian.

I will take a trip to a local model shop and have a look. Im not expecting it to be easy to start off with but I will take my time. I'm giving up smoking and looking for something to do to take my mind off of it with a sense of achievement at the end. My grandfather used to make model tanks and I used to love them when I was a kid.

Thanks again

First Name
Aaron
Good luck with quitting smoking mate, that is my demon that I just can't shake.

I agree with Ian, tamiya are a great place to start. You can pick up their old panzer two kit for cheap and it's awesome fit wise.

Welcome to the forum.

R

Richy C

I agree with Ian and Aaron tamiya 1/35 , but for me a sherman or churchill is a good place to start - not to pricey good kits also a nice size and good detail and the paint scheme is easy .

Richy,

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome to the forum

The guy's have said just about all you need to know looking forward to seeing the progress of whatever kit you choose

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hey Drew my name is Jim, have built a tank or two, just a little advice, get yourself some very small nippers these can be purchased at most model shops ,also some long tweezers for handling small parts. Remember to remove all molding "flash" and sand down those seams! I also use a kind of rough scouring pad, you can purchase "metal burnishing" pads used to clean copper and brass these you can get at most hardware stores, these buff sanded surfaces down nicely. Emery boards {for ladies nails } are great, they come in various grits and can be cut into narrow strips to get at those tough spots. As others have said Tamiya kits are the best to start out with, most are affordable with great instructions and fit beautifully. Also get in the habit of "dry fitting " parts to make sure everything will go together nicely before applying glue. I gave a basic tutorial to my friend TIBBS on dark washing and dry brushing techniques in my "Duster AASPG" thread in " Completed Armored Vehicles" I believe this can also be very helpful when painting and weathering your model. Sounds like a lot to take in but once you get rolling you'll find that model building can be a very rewarding hobby ! Look forward to your first production don't get discouraged you will get better with experience. You can come to me or any of the other fine armor enthusiasts on the site for any questions or help ALL will be happy to assist you in any way possible. Yours, JIM ;)

P

Pkdrew01

Thanks for the great advice guys. I can't wait to start now. Has anyone got any recommendations for trusted and reliable web shops as I had a trip to the local model shop and it was closed and the only other shop to get them from near me is hobbycraft and the selection they had in store wasn't great this morning.

It's really good to know that there are people on this forum giving out great information to newbies and the projects I have seen on here are amazing. Some real talented people on here

R

Richy C

Recommend any good web shops , yes - here , click on the green spitfire tag at the top of this page it will take you into the scalemodel shop , John who owns this site and the shop is a top bloke and the service is 1st class .

Richy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Pkdrew01. We don't know your name....yet...so I'll have to be formal.

When you do make a start, don't try and copy other's work. Place the same model in front of two modellers, and you will get two different results.

Don't be down hearted if your first attempt isn't quite right. This game is one long learning curve. You'll still be learning until you put your toes up!

If you come across anyone who thinks they know it all, avoid them!

Don't be worried about asking even the most basic of questions. We are here to help each other.

Top of the list of requirements is always have fun and don't worry what others might think of your efforts...It's your model.