How to make your own decals

• Thread starter Deleted member 5496
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5496

Not a clue how to go about this.

I can prepare the JPEG image size & reze etc so that side is not a problem.
Assume with the JPEG better to go for a larger pixel count.

But after that side of matters not a clue.

I have an HP Deskjet 3630 ink jet printer.

What do I need & how do I do it . Info on that much appreciated.

Laurie

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
you can buy special printing paper.......white backed and clear backed, all depends on what you plan to print.................print as 'best quality'....let it dry then a light spray over with acrylic narnish to seal.........cut out as close to the pic as possible and dunk in water as normal

ive done a few in the past but thay are always way thicker than a real decal

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
you can buy special printing paper.......white backed and clear backed, all depends on what you plan to print.................print as 'best quality'....let it dry then a light spray over with acrylic narnish to seal.........cut out as close to the pic as possible and dunk in water as normal

ive done a few in the past but thay are always way thicker than a real decal
In my one experiment doing this I found them actually thinner than Tamiya decals and without the splintering issues you get with so many. Depends on what decal paper you use.

D

Deleted member 5496

Looks like this site might be worth a once over Laurie...
Im going to have a look myself as you’ve piqued my interest....
Yes you are right Tim. You hear about things & think I must have ago.

It is that thing when a young boy of seeing those sticky things in the bakers. Just got to try them.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 5496

In my one experiment doing this I found them actually thinner than Tamiya decals and without the splintering issues you get with so many. Depends on what decal paper you use.
Barry what papers have you used & which is best ?

Also which is resistant to "a pint".

Laurie

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I can prepare the JPEG image size & reze etc so that side is not a problem.
Assume with the JPEG better to go for a larger pixel count.
Larger pixel count is better, provided you don’t have to enlarge the image to get it. Enlarging doesn’t need to be a problem, but better to avoid it if you can, because it will reduce quality much more than reducing an image in size will.

Also, JPEG is not a good choice of image format for anything that isn’t a photograph (or similar, like a scan of a painting) — the P stands for Photographic. If you have blocks of solid colour, geometric shapes, etc., using a lossless format like PNG (pronounced “ping”, BTW) is better than a lossy format like JPEG, because the latter discards and approximates pixels in order to achieve better compression.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s mainly apparent if you look closely at hard colour edges that aren’t perfectly vertical or horizontal, especially in a JPEG with the compression level turned up high. I’m not at my computer now, else I could easily post some examples. Tomorrow :smiling3:

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Laurie,
Have a look at www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk. Here you can get the paper you require either clear of white (A4), it comes with full instructions. I set my printer to photo for the best results. and cover the printed item with Humbrol crystal clear varnish. Mist the varnish on in three or four coats and set aside to dry.
Before you start print out your design of normal printer paper as this will tell you if it is right or wrong.
You can mask off the paper you do not wish to be varnished with printer paper so that only your image gets varnished, I usually allow about 15mm clearance.
Below are a couple of my decal sheets a bit blurred (photos) but the idea is there.
Cheers,
Mike
20210522_212650.jpg
This is magazine covers, laptop keyboard and screen all to 1/35 scale.
20210522_212706.jpg
Coca cola, Pepsi can labels and Evion water label.

D

Deleted member 5496

It’s mainly apparent if you look closely at hard colour edges that aren’t perfectly vertical or horizontal, especially in a JPEG with the compression level turned up high. I’m not at my computer now, else I could easily post some examples. Tomorrow :smiling3:
Jakko at the scale we are working to JPEG to PNG makes no difference it is only when you get to large scale as I used to in my architectural life that it makes a difference.

JPEG PNG or is PNG JPEG ;)

Laurie

Problem is if making up your own decal down loading pieces to use are mostly original JPEG . But it does not make any difference for the scale I certainly works to 1/48 & 1/72
The other difficulty is if down loading on line then you are up against it any way & that at these scales it makes no difference.

1621715289774.png1621716248356.png

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not sure which one of the chairs is which format, but they are certainly different Laurie. The right hand one is sharper with much better contrast and definition, at least on my iPad. The right hand roundel exhibits less aliasing on the circle edge. The colour shift is also obvious!

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 5496

Not sure which one of the chairs is which format, but they are certainly different Laurie. The right hand one is sharper with much better contrast and definition, at least on my iPad. The right hand roundel exhibits less aliasing on the circle edge. The colour shift is also obvious!
Interesting Tim.

The right chair is JPEG

The roundel top as downloaded.
The right one astounding loss of colour PNG.
The left bottom JPEG.

D

Deleted member 5496

As a help just recommend Serif Page Plus.

This is a publication programme. It allows cutting away portions of a photo resizing. Adding text in various forms.

Also has a Photo lab where you can alter all the various parameters colour intensity saturation etc. etc.

Comes with a cut out studio this also automatically enhances edges ie fills in any lost minor bits. You can also add bit of the same colour etc. Change colour.

A whole host of other stuff. A superb easy to use. Great for personal birthday cards. Anything you wish to do with graphics you can achieve.

Cost on Ebay there are some good bargains. a PAGE PLUS 9 still in original packing approx £43. Good value.

Laurie

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 5496

Just add things as I gather info. Ink Jet printers (except for very expensive types) do not print white a great draw back.
(ie white on an Ink Jet is just not printed ie if in normal printing the paper is grey white will be grey, white paper white will be white.)

So if, for instance, you have a decal with a mostly red background & white lettering or detail then the part of the model the decal is to be placed on will have to be painted white.
ie the white paint will be the white not the decal.

Tut my first project was going to be just white lettering. Up the spout :rolling:

Most laser printers do NOT print white. Laser printers are expensive. There are laser jets that can print white.

Found more info. seems with some Laser printers you can get a ghost white toner cartridge. This cartridge is put in place of the black cartridge..
Have to ask what if the decal has black in it. Presumably you juggle the cartridges to suit.

Still interested in producing your own decals :anguished:

Laurie

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s not so true these days Laurie, because you can get white decal paper as well as clear. I suppose you could produce your lettering with an outline, then cut them out inside the outline.
You just have to be accurate when cutting out your image :tongue-out3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That’s not so true these days Laurie, because you can get white decal paper as well as clear. I suppose you could produce your lettering with an outline, then cut them out inside the outline.

or give the letters a black border

D

Deleted member 5496

Ah things are looking up thanks Tim.