How to model a small Spotlamp for Loco?

A

alan2525

I'm making a little r/c 16mm loco, and need to model a small spotlight, approx 12mm in diameter. I've been looking for a model fitting, with a little grain of wheat bulb inside, preferbly a little plated brass part. Failing buying an off the shelf part - how would you make one of these? The loco is sheet brass with laser cut steel frames, ideally I want to keep the amount of plastic to a minimum.

A

alan2525

Just had a brainwave after posting that! - I could probably use one of those chromed screw covers for mirror screws... and just bore out a cup washer of the correct diameter to work as a bezel...:thinking:

C

crash93

Hi Alan I dad to make some small vents for a boat, these are biger than you need about 14mm but the brass blocks bave smaller dishes so you can make any size you need the outside would be brass prob ok for an older engine and the inside can be tinfoil or aley tape. thet where easy to make

View attachment 17226

vent1.JPG

C

crash93

ooops just re read your post , you could use ally instead and it will polish up and not look to bright as plated stuff tends to , ally on models looks more realistic than chrome parts as they tend to look a bit toyish.

peter

B

Bunkerbarge

Loads of model boat spot lights available on eBay from the big boat manufacturers such as Graupner and Robbe.

Here's a couple:

2 Robbe Search Lights 10.5mm Dia For Model Boats - 1641 on eBay, also Parts Accessories, Boats Hovercraft, Radio-Controlled, Toys Games (end time 20-Nov-08 12:31:48 GMT)

Robbe Search Light 15mm Diameter For Model Boats - 1640 on eBay, also Parts Accessories, Boats Hovercraft, Radio-Controlled, Toys Games (end time 28-Oct-08 06:48:42 GMT)

C

crash93

Hi Bunkerbarge I was going to sugest that ,then I looked again at original post and saw the spot lamp on the front of the cab , thats when I did the second post, it's the light in the right hand corner of the cab face I think he is going to make .

Peter

R

rkapuaala

If you need an exact fit, you can always make your own from some thin brass stock. I made my reflector for the light below using just a 11/16" hole drilled in some maple, a pall pine hammer and an electro plating kit. The hardest part was polishing the surface before nickle plating it.

B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely job though Richard and you can't get better than made to fit.