Hullo from London

Egghead

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi everyone. Great to have found this very useful and friendly forum. Seems I fit the demographic very well here! That is: nearing state retirement age, made models (very poorly) back in the early seventies, feeling the lure of the hobby again. What reignited my interest? Passing the lovely Salisbury Model Centre in 2022. Couldn't resist going in, loved having a browse, felt it all coming back, and couldn't leave without buying a couple of models "to show my support". I picked the Airfix "Starter Kit" Spitfire Mk.Vc with the intention of actually building it (which I eventually did), and the Tamiya 1:48 Mosquito FB Mk.VI/NF Mk.II, just to lovingly caress its contents. But now I have to build the Mossie, don't I? Can't just leave it sitting there. But so much to learn - acrylic paints! I don't remember them when I was 12. Eduard! Photo-etched parts! And of course hundreds and hundreds of instructive videos. And the fact that one can just find all this stuff so easily, and then it arrives in the post a few days later, instead of just picking from what was on the shelf in my local model shop. It was never like this when I were a lad. Looking forward to chatting with, and learning from, you all.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Welcome Neil, Nice intro. You have stumbled of the Carlsberg of modelling sites. Great bunch of members, loads of advice and help at hand. Simply ask. Look forward to hearing more.

Egghead

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Welcome Neil, Nice intro. You have stumbled of the Carlsberg of modelling sites. Great bunch of members, loads of advice and help at hand. Simply ask. Look forward to hearing more.
Thanks Doug!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Welcome to the forum neil , you’ll find a lot has changed in the hobby but the principle is the same - enjoy it and have fun . Dont be too overawed by the thousands of videos on you tube , youre probably better off asking for advice or watching a build on here , you’ll always get an answer. Cheers tony

Egghead

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Welcome to the forum neil , you’ll find a lot has changed in the hobby but the principle is the same - enjoy it and have fun . Dont be too overawed by the thousands of videos on you tube , youre probably better off asking for advice or watching a build on here , you’ll always get an answer. Cheers tony
Thanks Tony!

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Hey! Good to have you here

Looking forward to seeing the mossie go together, take your time, no pressure, but it needs to be done by next weekend! Ha!

Miko (currently only a theoretical modeller until in get my modeling 'studio' sorted, pretentious? Moi?) Ha!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Welcome Neil. Glad you got your restart in the Salisbury shop. That place was my go to for a long time until I moved away at retirement five years ago. The guy running it is a decent bloke who took a second job to keep the shop running when times were a bit leaner. Funnily enough that shop is also in the same place as the first model shop I remember from when I got started in the hobby at about ten years old.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Neil,
Welcome to the forum.
You will find a whole mine of information here, all you have to do is ask even if it has been asked a hundred times before you will get a reply or even directed to a similar build when your question has already been asked by another member.
And sometimes we even go totally off topic just to break up the monotony as we have done over the last few days with the 'What has disapeared' topic...
Please join in on any subject.
Mike.