Hurricane camoflauge colours

A

AVB99

Correction - thanks Steve! - the paints are Revell paints, not Humbrol.

Hello

Am building a Revell Hurricane Mk1. The painting guide suggetss Humbrol 82 and 68 as the main colours. Are these accurate please? And, as I do not have Humbrol 82 in stock and cannot find an equivalent, does anyone please know of an equvalent for these paints in Tamiya or Xtracrylic?

Many thanks

Aidan

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Those must be Revell colour numbers.

A MkI in the Europe would normally have upper colours of Dark Earth and Dark Green. The lower surface colour(s) would depend on the date,they changed quite a bit in the early war years. Probably Black/White,Sky,or Sky with a Night port wing.

Which aircraft are you building?

Xtracrylix do good matches for all the WWII RAF colours and very sensibly call them by their correct names. John does them at the shop (top of the page).

Cheers

Steve

A

AVB99

Thanks Steve. The aircraft os a Mk1A Hurricane - 257 Squadron, 1940

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That wouldn't happen to be Tucks ride would it???

Ian M

A

AVB99

Ian I have no idea what Tucks ride is - would you like to elucidate?

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I think Ian's refering to this guy -

Robert Stanford Tuck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the B.o.b's more famous pilots.

Tony.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats the Chap! Thanks Tony, I have only just seen this.

My thoughts where that If you are building his ride (aircraft) Aiden, it will make it much easier to find out exactly how it was painted at the time in question.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Ian I have no idea what Tucks ride is - would you like to elucidate?
Ian means Flight Lieutenant,later Acting Squadron Leader Roland Robert Stanford TUCK, D.F.C. (37306), No. 257 Squadron.

He is assocciated with two Hurricane MkIs. The first has the serial V6555 and was coded DT*A. This one had a Sky underside. The second was V6864 and is probably the most famous of his Hurricanes. It too was coded DT*A but he flew it during the period when the underside of the port wing was painted Night (black) and bore a yellow bordered rondel. I think it was in the "B" scheme camouflage where the two upper colours were transposed but I haven't checked. Both aircraft carried different personal and tactical markings which should be on the decal sheet.

Here's the man himself in the cockpit of V6864.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
My thoughts where that If you are building his ride (aircraft) Aiden, it will make it much easier to find out exactly how it was painted at the time in question.

Ian M
He's one of three featured towards the end of this short film,from about one minute onwards.

THE SPIRIT OF THE RAF - British Pathé

Steve