Hurricane colour conversion

T

TE.CHARLIE

Hi all, thanks to everyone who responded with a greeting to my initial thread last week, as I said I've recently returned to modelling. For reasons of pure nostalgia I've been drawn to remaking some of the old Airfix 1:72 WW2 aircraft that I had fond memories of as a kid. I'm currently working on the Hurricane IV and have a couple of basic paint colour questions. The old Airfix colours M2 Grey, M3 Green and M13 Light grey are supposed to convert to Humbrol M27, M30 and M64 respectively are these the best colours for RAF Green, Ocean Grey and Light Grey? or does anyone know if there are more accurate colours in the Humbrol range that I should be using? I've tested the three together and it might just be me, but I'm sure the two greys are looking a lot darker than they shoud be. Whilst I'm at it, does anyone know of the correct colour scheme for the RP-3 rockets, my 45 year old plans say matt black...but did they have different colour heads and/or fins. I can only find one B/W photo of a Hurri IV with rockets and from the picture I'd say it's inconclusive.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi charlie ,on the forum homepage theres a link on the toolbar for a paint conversion chart(under the quick links ,drop down) This should give alternatives to the airfix colours. There is always the option of the scale-models shop , you can get several types of paint here ( Im not on commision, honest!!) cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you look at the satin finish paints in the Humbrol range, the colours are quite good.I have also read the Humbrol have "scaled" the colours down.!!! Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi again just to clarify I think the colours you are referring to are for the day fighter scheme which was dark green/ocean grey over medium sea grey undersides.

The earlier scheme was dark green/dark earth over sky undersides.

There were even earlier schemes than that but we''ll leave them for now!

Cheers

Steve

T

TE.CHARLIE

Thanks Steve, that's exactly the scheme that I'm doing, but is Humbrol M30 the best match dark green for this? and similarly is M27 the best match ocean grey? I'm still not sure. Humbrol M27 was universally reccommended for both RAF ocean grey schemes and German fighters.