I GOT'CHA FELLA!...Iwo Jima 1945 diorama.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I have forgotten the bucket!!

This is the conclusion of 'The cave' my latest stage build. I have tried to get some of the feeling of being on Iwo Jima during Feb/ March 1945 when the U.S. Marines invaded the Island and took on the fanatical Japanese defenders.

It was a difficult project simply because I had never done 'jungle' before and all I started with was a cave, but as the build progressed so the ideas came.

I hope you approve of this diorama. I am very happy with the result and if it has been of some help to future dioramees then it's a double wammy....... it's been a toughy!

With your indulgence, I would like to add some more pictures tomorrow.

Ron

View attachment 20974

View attachment 20975

View attachment 20976

View attachment 20977

View attachment 20978

View attachment 20979

View attachment 20980

DSC05343.JPG

DSC05317.JPG

DSC05396.JPG

DSC05251.JPG

DSC05410.JPG

DSC05285.JPG

DSC05414.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent stuff ron mate, you get the impression that the japanese are going to jump out any minute, Although when i first saw pic 1 i thought the bloke on his back was a banzai japanese soldier,attacking him!!!! it wasnt till i saw pic 4 i realised hes carrying the poor bugger. As for the bucket, I like to think the bloke in pic 7 is shouting to someone in the cave " put down that bucket and come out with your hands up!" cheers tony

F

Fenlander

Ahh, it was something a bit bigger than a flamethrower lol. It certainly comes to life with the figures Ron. Again, a very nice story told.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I thought I might as well add some more pictures now before I mix my Horlicks! Also a bit of bumph about the Sherman.

You might be wondering why is there timber fastened to the sides and front of the tank? This was done in the main, as a bit of protection from Japanese anti tank mines. The sand bags were made from kids modelling clay and I have distressed them to look a bit 'war weary' with indents and holes. Also the turret hatch is open, this was done for two reasons. Quick access to the 50 cal and also to dissipate the intense heat from inside the tank due to the very high outside temp.

There is also an absence of weapon slings on some guns. When I was doing a bit of reading on the Marines I read that some units removed the slings as they kept getting snagged in the vegetation.....which made my job a lot easier!

View attachment 20981

View attachment 20982

View attachment 20983

View attachment 20984

View attachment 20985

View attachment 20986

View attachment 20987

View attachment 20988

DSC05423.JPG

DSC05348.JPG

DSC05390.JPG

DSC05419.JPG

DSC05394.JPG

DSC05418.JPG

DSC05422.JPG

DSC05374.JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Tut tut Ron! Even though this is a totally brilliant piece of work, that doesn't mean you can get away without the bucket!

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Great diorama and an education too. I like the idea of a few lumps of wood as applique armour amd it looks great. Also interesting to discover that they dispensed with the slings for their rifles,I remember seeing film of some British soldiers moving down a road in Iraq using a dangling sling to "feel" for trip wires. I don't suppose those Americans had time for such subtelty.

The diorama brought to mind that old Hollies song,"he ain't heavy,he's my brother".

Will we have an update c/w bucket?

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I appreciate your kind words boys, thanks..........I knew I wouldn't get away with a one line, feeble excuse re. the bucket so I will take a couple of extra shots to include the wayward item.

As 'Chairperson' it is my duty to right a terrible wrong!

Your humble servant,

D

dubster72

I'm still in shock regarding the absence of the bucket! Never thought I'd see the day.... But on on brighter note, this is a fantastic dio Ron, chock full of stuff to see & with a real sense of action & drama. Is there a similar scene in Flags of our Fathers? I haven't seen it but this really put me in mind of films like that, almost like stills from a WW2 pacific islands film. You're still the master!

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
I'm still in shock regarding the absence of the bucket! Never thought I'd see the day.... But on on brighter note, this is a fantastic dio Ron, chock full of stuff to see & with a real sense of action & drama. Is there a similar scene in Flags of our Fathers? I haven't seen it but this really put me in mind of films like that, almost like stills from a WW2 pacific islands film. You're still the master!Patrick
Thanks, glad you like it Patrick.

The Master? Steady on!..... I have observed that people who are given that 'badge' end up being vane and conceited. Like experts, I don't believe there are such people, simply because we are always learning new stuff 'till the day we go to the big model shop in the sky. Then we will all be given a 1/24 Lancaster Bomber kit as a welcoming gift. Except Masters and experts. they will not be given any glue!!!

My dad always told me " Keep it simple, don't complicate things with long winded methods, don't fiddle and always jump in feet first !"

This I do, but sometimes I forget the lifejacket.....

Bucket to follow shortly!

( but thanks anyway)

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here is the bucket as promised....sorry it was omitted at the start but in the words of Cpl. R. Suppards jnr. " We was kinda too busy to try and find one, mac !"

I hope this little offering allows me back into the ranks......

Ron

View attachment 20999

View attachment 21000

DSC05425.JPG

DSC05426.JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
"Except Masters and experts. they will not be given any glue!!!"

Is this a bit like the PC that St Peter has reserved for Bill Gates? The one with only three buttons - Ctrl; Alt & Delete!

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one Gern, I couldn't think of anything more apt for the poor chap!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Aha! the bucket appears, well done , give that man a coconut! (i KNEW it was in the cave all along!)

R

Richy C

Very nice Dio as usual Ron , love the camo on the marines helmets,

But we need a bucket - as the boss of the bucket gang you are setting a very bad example to us new bucket members , on a serious the dio looks great mate , what have you got planned for your next dio ?

Richy

R

Richy C

Also found the bucket , THE DIO IS COMPLETE .

I`m sure those photo`s were not their when I looked ? - must be me ?

Richy

N

noble

Ron mate i've just found this i ithink it is superb very very nice indeed, did the wounded guy catch his foot on a bucket assaulting the japanese... is that why he's been carried? Seriously though very nice i love it, keep em comin.

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
After the 'Big five' for my cave build Scott, I have now read your comments on this, thank you.

I had a laugh at Tony's (Yak Face) comment...he thought at first the guy was a Japanese suicide jockey who had jumped on the Marine's back!

I will be 'glued' to your unfolding desert diorama, have no fear! Good luck with it.

Thanks again,

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I'm sure i posted on this one, oh well. Nice one Ron, love the attention to detail and so much to see.

Five stars mate, John

N

noble

Ron i have revisited this and personally this is your best without a doubt ive given you another five stars for this as it is well deserved love it.

scott