I love making curry

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The majority of ships I served on in the Merchant Navy had either Indian, or Bangladeshi crew, and one of the lunch menu items was always a curry. I've found that the only one I didn't like was fish curry! That meant that at least 6 days a week I had a curry lunch.The older ships had separate galleys ( gas oil fired! ) for officers & crew & if you were lucky, and on special occasions, you'd get invited to eat with the crew! - that was the real meal deal!! The cooks used to mix up their own curry powder - none of the vindaloo or madras variety ( I was told they were for westeners only ), but spicy. Fresh parathas, naan bread & condiments - all excellent.
In case you were wondering why separate galleys - it was a religious thing, the officers cook was a Christian & he would prepare Pork & other things that were forbidden to Hindus/Moslems, hence separate galleys.
Dave

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good….love a good curry, but just had a home made lamb tagine myself……not made by me though, herself is a trained chef…..

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Must be a Widnes thing. My Dad's from Widnes, and loves making his own. As yourself, all from scratch. I remember him
Making bases in bulk and stocking up the freezer. So much better than jar bought stuff.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WHEN you all are eating them curryies i think i'll stand upwind of you lol an you must have cast iron stomacke jen loves them curryies but no way for me they make me ill ugh

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I used to have a colleague who defined curry as "what Asians eat instead of food"!
I'm not a big fan myself but I do like a mild curry occasionally.
Pete

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ooh Curries!!!

Hi, I'm no Gordon 'Ramasamy' but do cook my own curries fusion style. Being a Eurasian, my curries are a mix of Indian, Ceylonese, Burmese, Malay and Chinese recipes and ingredients. The spiciness varies with the batch of chillies and the removal of the core and seeds. Curry powders aren't really hot, just flavourful. It's the chillies and peppers that hit the hot spot. Dried chillies are a surprise and disaster waiting to happen unless you get yours from a local Indian dry spice goods store where you can get special grades. You'll know the chillies are hot when your fingers heat up while cleaning and dicing them.
We Asians are crazy and can cry at the table and still go for more torture with second helpings.

Cheers,
Wabble

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Ooh Curries!!!

Hi, I'm no Gordon 'Ramasamy' but do cook my own curries fusion style. Being a Eurasian, my curries are a mix of Indian, Ceylonese, Burmese, Malay and Chinese recipes and ingredients. The spiciness varies with the batch of chillies and the removal of the core and seeds. Curry powders aren't really hot, just flavourful. It's the chillies and peppers that hit the hot spot. Dried chillies are a surprise and disaster waiting to happen unless you get yours from a local Indian dry spice goods store where you can get special grades. You'll know the chillies are hot when your fingers heat up while cleaning and dicing them.
We Asians are crazy and can cry at the table and still go for more torture with second helpings.

Cheers,
Wabble
WELL MR Wabble id say that lot is a exsplosive recipe lol
chrisb

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If I want a curry, there are two solutions make one or drive the 120km to Copenhagen which I believe is the nearest Indian food source to us!
We have a local Tai place but no real curries there.
I must admit 80% of my cooking has a very Italian slant.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Funnily enough I'm making a 'railway curry' (lamb) from scratch tomorrow, served with some onion parathas and maybe some other bits and bobs. Carrot pickle must be on the cards as I have some carrots which definitely need eating, and soon.

Some curries, not this one, I have to tone down a bit for the Fuhrerin.

My late mum was a daughter of the Raj, born in Lucknow before the war, an this particular curry is a tip of the hat to British India.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Funnily enough I'm making a 'railway curry' (lamb) from scratch tomorrow, served with some onion parathas and maybe some other bits and bobs. Carrot pickle must be on the cards as I have some carrots which definitely need eating, and soon.

Some curries, not this one, I have to tone down a bit for the Fuhrerin.

My late mum was a daughter of the Raj, born in Lucknow before the war, a this particular curry is a tip of the hat to British India.
There is an Indian street food restaurant in Bath that does a fine Railway curry……very tasty it is too.