I think I'm getting better at faces and other things :)

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I've started a 1/16 scale praetorian guardsman from mini art and I've painted the face

I think it's my best one so far even if his eyes are , one looking at you and the other looking for you a bit

This is the close up pic View attachment 107516

and this is the normal view View attachment 107517

it's much better at the normal view I think
image.jpg

image.jpg

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very good Alan, wish mine were as good as that!

Lee :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks guys I appreciate it :smiling3:

\ said:
looking good Alan was this done with acrylics ???
Hi Paul the base colour and eyes are acrylics the tone and shadows are oils , once it's dry I think I'll give it a dry brush of flesh but a very dry brush I only want the very top of the detail touched :smiling3:

First Name
Robert
Ok I'm sending all my heads on mofels and dios to you in a box for you to paint Alan.!!!!

Robert

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice Alan,this one is looking good,

and easy fix with the eye,just a steady hand thats all,nice shading and shadows as well, ;)

P

Plastickitbasher

Alan great work, dry brush some Vellajo light flesh but make it a very dry brush you just want a small amount, then mix up a very thin black/grey filter for a bit of a five o clock shadow try something like 3 or 4 parts thinner to one small part oil(s). Also with a very dry brush use this filter on the eyes, you just want to knock back the white of the eyes a tad, otherwise it's looking very good.

P

Polux

Nice one Alan!!!!!

I'm doing mine (knight and Season's dare diorama) and I think is the most difficult part on a figure :confused:

Looking very good so far ;)

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I can paint tanks paint uniforms build dioramas BUT faces scare me :eek:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys I'm pleased you like it :smiling3:

\ said:
Alan great work, dry brush some Vellajo light flesh but make it a very dry brush you just want a small amount, then mix up a very thin black/grey filter for a bit of a five o clock shadow try something like 3 or 4 parts thinner to one small part oil(s). Also with a very dry brush use this filter on the eyes, you just want to knock back the white of the eyes a tad, otherwise it's looking very good.
so basically it's rubbish and I should start again lol :D

I'll remember that for next face David this one has a big helmet on and chin strap so there's not much point in doing it as most of it wont be seen but thanks for the tips :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I've started on the body now and instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd stick it hear :smiling3:

This is the chest armour for the figure , I put a thin line of black oil paint under the plates of the armour to give a shadow then used a flat brush to push it into the crease , this removes most of the paint and fades it out

View attachment 107563

So you can get an idea of the difference here's the back untouched View attachment 107564

image.jpg

image.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Alan,armor i find a bit tricky as well,as to how worn it should be,

P

Paul P

Hi Alan this is looking the dogs, there are a number of ways to paint armour, the first is to paint it black and the using a sponge, lightly sponge the area with silver, this will give a mottled effect that looks very good, another is to use humbrol metal coat steel, this is amazing stuff as you paint a black base coat let it dry for 24 hours and then apply the metal coat, when that's dry you buff it up with a soft cloth and it gives a very realistic steel finish, contrary to popular believe armour, from most eras, wasn't shiny and polished

this is the effect you get from the humbrol metal coat

View attachment 107630

DSCF1140.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
i do real like the look of that one Paul and thats what i do try to get the look off as well,ta for the info, :D