Ian M's Mk.IIc. Italeri 1/48

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Coming on nicely Ian. Looks a detailed kit.

Its pretty good Steve. Not a fan of the separate door though. prefer to have the choice to leave in place or cut out. Otherwise a great little kit to build.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hit a bump in the road. Broke the cannons off. Burger!
I have ordered some nice brass ones and while I was at it a set of masks. Been gardening a lot this week and my fingers are not doing to well at holding things, like scalpels and apparently model airplanes. I think I'll take a we pause until the postie comes. some time next week.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Hit a bump in the road. Broke the cannons off. Burger!
I have ordered some nice brass ones and while I was at it a set of masks. Been gardening a lot this week and my fingers are not doing to well at holding things, like scalpels and apparently model airplanes. I think I'll take a we pause until the postie comes. some time next week.
Know what you mean about losing dexterity in fingers after gardening. Luckily, I'm at the holding a hose to water new lawn phase!!! So no problems!!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just been turning 60m of 30x125mm into veggie garden boarders. Oh, and moving about a ton of soil...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I got my mask set so I took a well earned break* and got back to the bench.
20240425_142619.jpg
Pretty basic instructions but its not rocket science is it. Just have to figure out which bit is what.
Then it goes quite quick.

20240425_150326.jpg
Rather funny as the mask looks like the Dark earth but the pattern is reversed. (lets not go there again...).
20240425_150334.jpg
T'other side.
20240425_154202.jpg
Threw some paint at it. Model Air which caused havoc in my air brush. Sodding stuff had lumps in. Microscopic ones but enough to block the AB up! TWICE. Grr.
20240425_154210.jpg
The observant amongst you will have noticed the missing cannon is back. Glued on and hoping for the best. I will save the rather nice brass ones for another build...

*well earned break= "fixed" the rather iffy idle on the ride on mower. Stripped the carburettor flushed it though and put it back. Started first time and purred like a cat. Drove to the end of the garden and the engine died in a cloud of white smoke. Petrol in the oil and the breather pipe blown off the carb and oil/petrol sprayed all over the engine and front tyre. Sigh. ride on mower now at the work shop. Cut the lawn with the walk behind. did most of it yesterday, finished it this afternoon. my dogs are barking!

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Nice paint job, Ian.
Sorry for your misadventures with the lawn mower and airbrush.
My lawnmower made a lot of white and dark smoke the first time I used it this year but it was mainly due to old fuel. Now it runs smoothly.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Paint looks great Ian , the tropical hurricanes always look fabulous . I know what you mean with the lumps in vallejo , I struggled for years with the airbrush clogging - I put it down to tip drying - but eventually found that tiny lumps were causing it . I got myself some of those plastic filter cups and now always filter the paint into the airbrush , I rarely get any clogging now . Even paint that looks smooth and lump free will usually contain enough tiny clumps to cause problems , but the filter stops them .,

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Blimey,where have I been?!!
That's looking excellent,I really must do something in that Tropical scheme, it's got that "special something" in my mind :thumb2:,great stuff Ian.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I got myself some of those plastic filter cups and now always filter the paint into the airbrush , I rarely get any clogging now .
Does John have them? If not, do you have a link to them?

I must say I was impressed with the masks.

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Does John have them? If not, do you have a link to them?

I must say I was impressed with the masks.
John does have them but was out of stock when I got mine , they might be back in now , if not you can pick them up on ebay for about £7/£8 a pair , but the will be coming from china so might take a while - best bet is from John if theyre in stock . I was amazed that even new unopened bottles of Vallejo ,when filtered ,left bits in the strainer mesh . Tip for using them though - I have a small pot of water that I chuck them in as soon as ive strained the paint , you dont want it starting to dry on the filter mesh while youre busy spraying , it would be a bugger to clean . Once ive finished I take it out of the water and give it a good clean under a hot tap . Obviously if youre using enamels or laquers then substitute the water for the relevant solvent .

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
John does have them but was out of stock when I got mine
I found them in my local paint pushers so I'll get them there but thanks for the tip. Always easy to find something when you know what to look for.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Tip for using them though - I have a small pot of water that I chuck them in as soon as ive strained the paint ,
That's a good call. I was using a hacked Ikea tea infuser, two small stainless filters for around a quid, but got fed up of cleaning them out.