Ian M's NakaJima A6M2-N Type 2 Fighter (Rufe). Tamiya 1/48

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
We as the Pete went so quick I have loads of time to cobble this one together.

20230710_095546.jpg

20230710_095803.jpg
An older but typical Tamiya. OK detail and crisply moulded. And the frames on the canopies are actually raised enough to be findable under masking tape!

20230710_095824.jpg
Not the largest of aircraft, but then the pilots where not exactly big either...
20230710_095833.jpg
A bit of flash to deal with but not much.

20230710_095843.jpg
Bit extra flash on this frame.
20230710_095914.jpg
The usual Tamiya Decals. However they don't look that thick. By the time they have soaked up some water.... who knows.
20230710_100000.jpg
LOL Huston; we have a problem.... Fortunately I have already downloaded a pdf of the English version.

I build start this one tomorrow. Maybe. Its going to be a wet day today. Much needed though we hit 30c here yesterday.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks interesting Ian. There's something about float planes

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
One thing about this kit. Not a great deal to it...60 parts?
In an attempt to slow it down I have cut all the control surfaces free so they can be posed.
20230710_161607.jpg
Been cleaning and fettling and even re-scribed the main float.

I might be wrong but I might have found why kamikaze started.
If I had to sit in this:
20230710_174016.jpg
I think I would fly into a ship as well.
That is AK Airs take on that wonderful coating the Japanese used . It is though not clear. Others I have seen have to be put down over an aluminium base coat. Not this one, just shake and spray.
Not sure I will be buying more AK paints. Not a fan.

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Got the cock pit in and the fuselage buttoned up. Now that needs to cure up befor I start sanding. It is an older kit and that shows in the simplicity, low parts count and the not as accurate fit you expect from Tamiya. Wings, fuselage floats all need a fettle. Most abnormal for Tamiya. Any how:
20230711_112354.jpg
While the fuselage sets up I cut out the wedges for the wing tip lights and have glued a bit of shaped clear sprue in. That will need to be very well stuck in as it is going to be sanded to shape in the wing....
20230711_112314.jpg

So now I HAVE to slow down lol.
Hmm what to do...?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well yesterday was rain with rain on top. Started with a rather wet cat at 4AM demanding room service. At 4:30 a real belter of a thunderstorm rolled in and it was a good one!
Spent the day fettling and gluing the wings on. Quite a good fit actually. A small gap at the back of the underside in the main wing.
A large part of the day went by with masking the canopy! Yikes. that was fun...
Apparently the photographer had the day off yesterday. and no photos! Disgraceful! I know!

Today I threw some paint at it. Persevering with the AK real colours. I might as well as they where bought for these to Japanese aircraft.
They are not to bad and I am figuring them out, Its just getting the right ratio of Paint to Thinners. 50/50 is almost there. 45/55 is to thin. lol.
Anyhow the pictures.
20230713_200704.jpg

20230713_200823.jpg
Photos in the evening are soooo hard in my room. The lights cast way to many shadows. Perfect for a modelling room....NOT
The paint is AK's real colours 302 IJN J3 Hia-Iro grey.
No pre-shade or post shade its all the same colour, painted one panel at a time. more paint in the middle less at the edges. Letting the pigment load carry it!
Being a light colour I guess I'll have to do a bit of soot/oil by the engine and M/G ports....
Comments welcome as always.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Interested to see how you dislike the AK real colours Ian .I've a pot of their 4 BO and a bottle of thinners . Mix noted , thank you .

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Interested to see how you dislike the AK real colours
The paints are not that bad, its a case of learning them. But I will be sticking with Model Air for the most part. I could not get the right colours when I ordered the two aircraft.
The Tamiya rattles are for a coming project...

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Blimey I have missed a lot this week, haven't seen your "Pete" yet,and you've already got stuck into this one!!:dizzy:
Nice start though,the dash looks good.... although,as you say,the fit issues are indeed unusual for Tamiya:thinking:.
Good stuff to watch Ian.... I'm now off to track down your completed "Pete":thumb2:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I've a pot of their 4 BO and a bottle of thinners . Mix noted , thank you .
I was over thinned as I said and I went a bit thin as it was being pushed through a 0.2 tip. so have a play.

Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ta Daaaaaaaaa!
20230714_134047.jpg20230714_134057.jpg
Need to fit the bombs... then its Decals and maybe a bit of weathering. Oh and paint the nav lights on the wing tips...
I would like to say that this is the most basic Tamiya kit I have built. I have built better Airfix kits! No dis to Airfix, their kits are now very good. I used more time cutting the control surfaces of and masking the canopy than I did building the rest of the model!

I could be tempted by the new Eduard if/when it comes out as a single boxing. Not sure I get the thought behind the Duo thing.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry I got a bit distracted by things. I can however report that the finished build is ready for inspection here:

Thanks for dropping by.

A good GB as well Andy!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Sorry I got a bit distracted by things. I can however report that the finished build is ready for inspection here:

Thanks for dropping by.

A good GB as well Andy!
Thanks Ian, it's been good fun with some cracking builds:smiling4:
I'll check out your RUFE dreckly:thumb2:.