Ian M's PR Mosquito XVI Airfix, 1/48

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You can do it the way you said but in this instance the frames are only very slightly raised and following them with the blade can be next to impossible.
I find it’s easier to see where the framing is if you hold the canopy up to the light, though cutting through the tape can be a bit tricky that way.

Also use a VERY sharp pointed blade.
Definitely.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So yesterday I set about cutting into the wing to make the leading edge landing light of the Mk that I am doing. I cut out the place and made the light box and was just starting to sort out some kind of clear plastic to make the cover. Guess what?
Wrong wing! Bugger. Spent the next half an hour finding something to re-fill the hole and then cut the position into the correct wing.
Duh!

Looking at all the photos I could find of a Mk 34, None of them had those dorsal antenna that are shown on the profile I posted. Also the wing tip lights are only the forward ones, so no need to faff about with those either. Yea!
Oh I made a new pilot tube for the tail fin as the rather ratty plastic part got the chop. Looked pretty naff anyway, so no worries there!
When I get back to the bench, I'll pop a couple of pictures up. Right now I am having problems just standing up let alone walk! Grrr.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Coming along nicely. Only an hour to mask the canopy, you're a master canopy masker.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have no problem admitting I made a boo-boo
DSC_1429.JPG
Like cutting the leading edge light out in the wrong wing. ..Then having to fix that!
Here it is in the right wing.
DSC_1430.JPG
just needs a quick swipe with a sanding stick then some lights drilled into it, then a cover!

Now about the wing root:
DSC_1431.JPG
On looking at the other Mossies I have built, (there are about six or seven). It is not the wing that is wrong but the fuselage. On all the others the area by the cabin in slightly bulging out. On this one it is almost straight...Hmm. Even on the other kit which is exactly the same boxing as this one..
DSC_1432.JPG
Thought it was a lot easier to make a fillet on the cooler than to faff about with the fuselage. A splodge of filler and we should be good to go.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
A bit late here too Ian, neat looking interior work and seems she’s ready for paint soon too :thumb2::smiling: .

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome Fernando Buckle down its a pretty bumpy ride.

Been fighting with fitting the nacelles yesterday and trying to figure out if I am brave enough to go in the hobby room and see how they look now the glue has dried.
To put it in a way we all understand they are not a great fit...One of them has a list to starboard, pushing the U/C struts inboard! Looking more and more like this one will be sent to the bone yard when done :sad:
More later....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I limped down to the hobby room. Then back to the living room for my mobil then back to the hobby room. I think I should buy me one of those fit bit thingies! LOL
Right then.
DSC_1434.JPG
The Wheels fit and the wonky leg dont look as bad once they are on the wheels. You can see that the whole U/C on the right (as you see it) is leaning a bit. I put it down to a hard landing.
DSC_1435.JPG
Just a quick view of the top.
DSC_1436.JPG
I found a bit of clear plastic and sorted out the landing light. Turned out that it was perspex. A bugger to file into shape. But it worked out and polished up OK.
I notice now that the droptanks are totally the wrong shape and should be pretty much round in profile at the front. Not a lot to do about that now. They are stuck good and propper.
So now all the newest bits of filler need to set up and tomorrow I will pull the wheels and start to paint! Yea!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
She has got her winter socks on and has just been primed. Tomorrow I can give her a look over and sort anything that's not good enough and then throw some paint over her...
Might have a problem there as well Just given the PRU Blue a good shake, I hope there is enough!
DSC_1437.JPG
Primed with Vallejo light grey primer... Almost the same colour as the plastic! Hope that I didn't miss to much.
DSC_1438.JPG

Even though I have masked her legs off, I think that she will need touching up a bit ( Er... ummm, you know what I mean).

What the heck I might even go the pre-shade path as it will be quite plane otherwise.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Ian,
Looking good, glad you got the wing join sorted:smiling4:
Interesting to see how you get on with preshade, I tried it for the first time recently and got a pleasing result.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ian,
Apologies very late to this, You are making a great job of my favourite aircraft.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers Guys!
The odd thing about this particular build is that it is the third, maybe the fourth Airfix Mossie I have built and this one is buy far the worse for fit. The others as far as I recall all fitted rather well. Not Tamiya type well, but well enough.
If I can get myself down to the hobby room, I will get something photo worthy done.
As an aside; You can make a 34/34a/35 from the Tamiya kit. You just need to spend as much if not more than the kits price on aftermarket resin bits. Some more expensive than others.
So Mr Tamiya. If you are reading this. Can you get to work on a two stage engine version and a heap of options. We need more choices!!!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Some interesting challenges on this Ian but you are doing a superb job..... I hope Mr Tamiya is listening to you, for their 1/32 in particular!!!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Ian

That's looking rather good already and well done for dealing with the challenges!!!

I imagine it won't be a small plane at 1/48? What's the wingspan going to be.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Ian

That's looking rather good already and well done for dealing with the challenges!!!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I can see you're having a bit of fun Ian, but it looks 100% Mosquito.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some interesting challenges on this Ian but you are doing a superb job..... I hope Mr Tamiya is listening to you, for their 1/32 in particular!!!
I hope they are too but in the perfect world they would do both the 1/48 and the 1/32.. :smiling:

Hi Ian
Cheers Andrew. The wingspan is about 35 cm.

I can see you're having a bit of fun Ian, but it looks 100% Mosquito.
Thanks Colin. The old airfix kit does look rather good and as I wrote earlier, its not normally a pain and fits quite well.

Right then Day 10 of the most painful attack of sciatica I have had in ages. Bombed out on pain killers and just for fun I now have a cold as well. Oh the joy! A sneeze sends a jolt right through my back and down to the tips of my toes! I can just about manage the walk through the house to the hobby room. The vast distance of all of 30 paces!
Enough whining. The model.

DSC_1442.JPG

DSC_1443.JPG

Got the pre-shade down and after a bit of a fight with the airbrush, got the worst of the blotches and blobs lightend down with some light grey.
A cup of coffee and a smoke then it was time for the top side to get some colour!!!
DSC_1444.JPG
Xtracrylix Medium Sea Grey. Two light coat and you can still see the shading. It's a bit more pronounced in real life but can be seen in the photo.
I s'pose this now needs time to cure befor I mask it to do the PRU Blue. Iv'e just had a look in the pot and should have enough.... Famous last words.
Once I have waddled back down to the cave, I will hopefully be able to fine the codes and serials and markings for later...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Now in colour!
Spent a while playing with masking tape today.
DSC_1445.JPG
I made a creative choice where the trailing edge of the wing and the fuselage meet. (I was to lazy to start the PC to find the profile pic).
DSC_1446.JPG
Got the PRU blue down. Xtracryix I love you. O.o
DSC_1447.JPG
I know now that the demarcation on the fuselage should have been a bit higher up and a straight shot to just below the canopy. But this curve down to the wing root works for me!
(I might sort it out when the rest of the paint has cured though...).
DSC_1448.JPG
What says the mob?
DSC_1449.JPG
A few touch-ups here and there and we should be good.

Oh another good thing you can use frisk film for. I had markings for everything except the underwing serial numbers. Had the Letters but not the numbers. A quick play with a pencil and paper and I could trace the number off with a scalpel onto the frisk film. You will see how that turned out later.....

D

Deleted member 7181

Looking good, I like the curve.

Frisk (or frisket) film is used a lot in custom paintwork and airbrushing but I haven't seen it used much in modelling. I sometimes use it for masking around stickers or graphics on vehicles that we don't want to remove and refit. If I spray the colour lightly up to it then remove before clearcoating the edge is almost invisible.