ICM 1/24 1913 Model T Roadster - a therapy build..................

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Not a very good Christmas - had a few problems, and I'm going a bit stir crazy, there's only so much TV and book reading I can stand!
I decided to grab a model from the stash, and see how it goes...................
icm model t roadster.jpg
Just over 100 parts.
DSCF1265.JPG
A few detail shots
DSCF1266.JPGDSCF1267.JPGDSCF1269.JPGDSCF1270.JPGDSCF1271.JPGDSCF1273.JPG

The original issue of this model had a 'brass' sprue for the radiator & lights, but ICM found that the plating wasn't very good - so now it's just a normal grey sprue. Not sure about the off-white vinyl tyres, I'll have to see how they look. I thought all Model T cars came in any colour, as long it was black ! - I'll have to have a bit of a dig around..............
Dave

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave, sorry to hear it wasn't a great time for you and I know exactly what your mean on the stir crazy front. Food luck with the build.

ATB.

Andrew

First Name
Andy
Glad to see you are feeling better and getting back to the bench Dave. Looks like a nicely detailed kit that.

Andy.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
You're not alone in having had a poor Christmas but glad you feel able to get back to the bench.
there's only so much TV and book reading I can stand!
... and the telly is 90% repeats or mindless drivel :sad:

It looks a nice kit. Am I right in thinking that ICM do a few Model T variants?

Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
ICM do several Model T's both in 1/24 cilvilian, and in 1/35 military - I've done the 1/35 Ambulance & the Utility
T vs T.jpg
This is my first 1/24 Model T - the parts look like a scaled up 1/35 ( or is the 1/35 a scaled down 1/24? ). It may be a quite slow build
Dave

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Sorry to hear you didn’t had a good time Dave, guess that has been a Christmas for the most of us…

Good luck with the build, hope it goes in your way :thumb2:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After reading the Wikipedia entry of the Model T
"By 1912, all cars were being painted midnight blue with black fenders. Only in 1914 was the "any color so long as it is black" policy finally implemented. "
Found two pictures that fit the bill.....................
model t roadster 1913.jpeg2 model t roadster 1913.jpeg
Electric lights weren't fitted until later - so, oil coach lamps & carbide ( acetylene ) headlights. The tyres are mid-grey, rather than the off white supplied. The wheel spokes are body colour - not wood, as in the instructions.
These are, of course renovated cars, but I reckon they are authentic enough!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ll support you in this one Dave. It looks really interesting. Regarding the tyres, are you sure they are not just natural rubber coloured? I know a lot of WW1 aircraft had uncoloured tyres so these might be similar.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As soon as I looked for another photo for the tyres - what did I find?
grey tyres.jpeg
It's a later model - with electric headlamps, but the tyre colour...............................
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Dave
I’ve had a bit of a read around, and adding carbon black to tyre rubber didn’t become commonplace until 1917....before that tyres were mostly milky white. It was the shortage of the required strength agent due to use in munitions production for the war that prompted the change. Once adopted, the tyre companies found black tyres were far stronger and more rigid, so they never changed back.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Made a start - engine assembled & primed Front axle & radiator primed, the radiator masked & painted....
DSCF1275.JPG
I've used Mr Hobby brass, for the radiator surround
DSCF1276.JPG
I'm going to need a steady hand to pick out the 'Ford' logo & tidy up the edges, I can see that this may need stripping back before I'm happy...............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Stripped the radiator back, and used AK True Metal instead of the Mr Hobby brass..................
DSCF1278.JPG
Still needs a bit of work (!!)

I did some of the other brasswork at the same time
DSCF1277.JPG
Gloomy day, lights needed all the time! Hate using the camera flash - it shows up every flaw & imperfection ( and there are a fair few of those! )
Dave

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Very nice work Dave, been thinking of getting one, so I’ll jump in and watch if you don’t mind.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ian
Very nice work Dave, been thinking of getting one, so I’ll jump in and watch if you don’t mind.
Ian,
ICM have a nice range of 1/24 Model T's from a delivery van, through a firetruck to a stripped down 'speedster'. The one I fancy is the four seater 'Tourer' - ICM also do a range of passengers for them, as well.
You don't see them at much of a discount, so ebay & 2nd hand are my areas I lurk!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A
That's lovely brass, I might need to check them out.

Watching with interest.
Andrew,
AK True Metal comes in a tube, and is a waxy smelling paste. After letting it dry, you can buff it up with a soft cloth. You can apply it with a brush, or finger! Clean up with white spirit. It helps to apply over a matt black primed surface - practice on sprue, to get the hang of it. AK do quite a few metallic finishes - I've also got silver. It's OK for smaller parts, but I wouldn't care to do an overall coat of it...............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Driving the Model T was different - the 3 pedals don't do what is expected................................
Of course very few people had driven a car, so the Model T wasn't seen as having odd controls!
Dave

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A

Andrew,
AK True Metal comes in a tube, and is a waxy smelling paste. After letting it dry, you can buff it up with a soft cloth. You can apply it with a brush, or finger! Clean up with white spirit. It helps to apply over a matt black primed surface - practice on sprue, to get the hang of it. AK do quite a few metallic finishes - I've also got silver. It's OK for smaller parts, but I wouldn't care to do an overall coat of it...............
Dave
Thank you Dave, I'm going to get a couple of tubes and see if they suit me.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Quite a lot of progress today - it helps if the parts fit well! All parts fitted to the underside & painted....................
DSCF1279.JPG

Started the bodywork - you can make it separately, so spraying the blue bodywork won't need any masking.
DSCF1281.JPG
Just dry fitted for the moment! I'll spray gloss varnish on the uppers of the body, just masking the radiator - I'll see to that later. No more work on the engine - the bonnet will be closed!
Dave