ICM Spitfire Mk IXe RDAF

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well after a couple of canons I thought it must be time for an aircraft again. As I had just gotten this kit in the post from Scalemodelshop.co.uk I got stuck into it.

First a bit about the kit. Despite the look of the box, end opening and typical 70's artwork, the kit is from 2000 so is not that old.

The sprues, in white plastic where well moulded and only had very small amounts of flash on a few of the parts. There is a full Merlin motor, and the option for removing the side cowl covers. Seperate covers are provided. A full frame for the motor mounts as well. The machine gun bays are open and the weapons are also included. There are three different versions of the cover panels as well.

The wings are with out tips, and the included wingtips are for the clipped wing, standard wing and the High altitude versions. There is also to rudders, the normal and the pointed ones. So with a bit of work on the wings you could probably make most of the highback spits that at V based. I am sure that Mr Brookes will correct me on that point. Indeed I hope he does as I have plans on buying a couple more for that very reason! lol.

Problems: Well only a few problems, on of which is that the fuselage was a bit bent. I put this down to having been laying around for 11 years. The Normal ICM no locating pins was both a godsend and a curse getting it to line up.

The fit of the wing root also requires the top wing to be glued to the fuselage and the bottom section lined up from there. Sort of worked out OK....?

The cadge for the Merlin engine was a bit of a fiddle and I lost count of how many time I had to reattach bits!!!

Only one thing to say about the decals, but I am not allowed to use bad language on here. All the markings broke up into mosaic. Thus the roundels and codes are painted on.

Would I buy another one. probably. The detail was just that good.

Then I buggers it up by painting it.!!! Picture time.

View attachment 37329 View attachment 37330 View attachment 37331 View attachment 37332 View attachment 37333

404 of the 4th squadron Danish Royal Air Force. That in 1950 was in a minor collision with one of the others in the squadron, taking its vertical stabiliser off with her propeller. Both landed safely, but retired from service.

Ian M

View attachment 41520

View attachment 41521

View attachment 41522

View attachment 41523

View attachment 41524

IMAG0347.jpg

IMAG0348.jpg

IMAG0349.jpg

IMAG0350.jpg

IMAG0351.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Very nice Ian sounds like you had a lot to contend with but it's come out looking very good. By the way what scale is it?.

Vaughan

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ops! I knew I had forgotten something. Is 1/48 scale Vaughan. And thank you!

While putting this one in the cabinet I discovered some thing quite awful: I have no more room for any models!!!!! So it looks like the modeling tools will be put away until I can buy or make a suitable display cabinet!

Ian M

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Nice work Ian, I will start mine one day :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice job Ian. The engine looks interesting, not something seen on display to often.

Colin M.........

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Lovely Spitfire Ian, and the engine detailing is super.

I really like these non RAF schemes.

Thanks for sharing.

Tony.

First Name
Dave
Nice build Ian.All it needs to finish it off is an antenne wire.I could fit one for you if you like.....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
:laughing: I think I'll pass on that.

Besides there wasn't one on this mark.

Ian M

T

T. van Vuuren

Very very nice! I like the Denmark colours.

I have been looking at this same Mk9 kit but some reviews have put me off a bit. Could the dowls be colsed on yours with the engine installed? Some guye say the cowlings are to thick for that.

Then there are minor sinkmarks on the top of the wings,but easy to fix though.

I think this Mk9 ICM might look rather nice in 1950's SAAF two tone grey :smiling:

Theuns