I'm confused ........... Tanks and stuff ????

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I'm confused by all the armour jargon and stuff...........

We have tanks and tank hunters ???? ........ Why ???? Why don't tanks just hunter other tanks ???? ........ Why do we need a separate vehicle for that ?????

....and why do tanks have swivelly turrets but tank hunters don't ....... But then I guess if the tank hunters had swivelly turrets they' d be tanks ....... or would they ????:rolleyes:

and then we have male, female and hermaphrodite tanks ????? ...... What the hell is that one about ????

I'm obviously missing some vital information here ........... Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Laurie

You lost me in line two Peter. :confused:

In such a state of confusion now I think I will go and get tanked up. ;)

Laurie

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
You lost me in line two Peter. :confused:
In such a state of confusion now I think I will go and get tanked up. ;)

Laurie
So it's not just me that's confused ......??? ......... There may well be more of us out there Laurie. :eek:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Well I'll break it down to life

The standard tank is a guy with a big gun but is more mobile and slimmer

A tank hunter is a muscular guy who has a bigger gun

A male tank is a guy with a gun who likes to use it to show off

A female tank is a woman who moans a lot but in the end hasn't got the firepower but boy does it get on your nerves

The hermaphrodite is just a greedy person with feelings

I hope this helps :D

Last edited by a moderator:
N

noble

The tank hunter is a mobile artillery platform, Tank hunters were not actually tanks they were designed to be mobile artillery platforms and they tended to be turretless vehicles such as the jagdpanzer IV or the jagd panther, hetzer etc. These vehicles could be created cheaper than a tank which has a turret, tank hunters usually have thicker frontal armour and a high velocity gun that would not other wise fit in a turret. They have lower silouettes in order to be able to conceal there presence better than you could with a tank with a turret.

Tank hunters came about due to the reduction in cost per vehicle, the amount of vehicles that could be built compared to actual tanks, the germans found that they could mount a larger velocity gun and have thicker armour on these vehicles without the need for any special modifications to the hull, engine or suspension after all thicker armour add more weight.

Male, female and hermaphrodite tanks, these were vehicles from the great war, female tanks were fitted with machine guns, the male tanks were fitted with artillery guns and If I remember correctly the male tanks would be the first line of attack and the female s fitted with machine guns would follow behind to assist with trench clearing. The hermaphrodite tanks were a later invention fitted out with a machine gun on one side and an artillery piece on the other as a way of dealing with both heavy machine gun positions and infantry.

I hope this goes some way to clearing things up.

scott

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
The tank hunter is a mobile artillery platform, Tank hunters were not actually tanks they were designed to be mobile artillery platforms and they tended to be turretless vehicles such as the jagdpanzer IV or the jagd panther, hetzer etc. These vehicles could be created cheaper than a tank which has a turret, tank hunters usually have thicker frontal armour and a high velocity gun that would not other wise fit in a turret. They have lower silouettes in order to be able to conceal there presence better than you could with a tank with a turret.
Tank hunters came about due to the reduction in cost per vehicle, the amount of vehicles that could be built compared to actual tanks, the germans found that they could mount a larger velocity gun and have thicker armour on these vehicles without the need for any special modifications to the hull, engine or suspension after all thicker armour add more weight.

Male, female and hermaphrodite tanks, these were vehicles from the great war, female tanks were fitted with machine guns, the male tanks were fitted with artillery guns and If I remember correctly the male tanks would be the first line of attack and the female s fitted with machine guns would follow behind to assist with trench clearing. The hermaphrodite tanks were a later invention fitted out with a machine gun on one side and an artillery piece on the other as a way of dealing with both heavy machine gun positions and infantry.

I hope this goes some way to clearing things up.

scott
Thanks Scott......... I knew there'd be a simple explanation.

Peter

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So what's an assault gun...

Lol

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
So what's an assault gun...
Lol
Do you REALLY want to know? If so "assault guns" were generally howitzers that were mostly mounted on obsolete tank chassis for artillery support or to lay siege to a particular target

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
As above a tank hunter is just another name for an assault gun.
scott
Beg to differ, as I have stated assault guns were basically mobile artillery pieces used for indirect fire upon a specific target where as the term " Tank Hunter " was a bit of a misnomer as most of these vehicles were quickly produced "turretless" and put into defensive positions to ambush approaching enemy armor. The few "Tank Hunters" as they were called were of Allied design and depended on speed and agility I.E. "M18 Hell Cats" and "M10 Tank Destroyers" :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So a SPG is an tank hunter designed to blow the %"¤p out of anything it fancies.... :D

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
So a SPG is an tank hunter designed to blow the %"¤p out of anything it fancies.... :D
I thought it was vivians punk hamster :D

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
So we have tanks, howitzers mounted on tanks and cheap tanks with big guns...................

\ said:
I thought it was vivians punk hamster :D
I thought he was called "Bacon Sandwich" ????

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
So we have tanks, howitzers mounted on tanks and cheap tanks with big guns...................
I thought he was called "Bacon Sandwich" ????
Nope he was called SPG after a TV show called Special Patrol Groupe :D

I'm a young one nutter lol

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
I'm wrong ............ "Bacon Sandwich" was the name of the pig.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Nope he was called SPG after a TV show called Special Patrol Groupe :D
I'm a young one nutter lol
I think he was probably named after the MET Special Patrol Group .......... A special tactical response unit that was disbanded in 1987 as they were all "headcases" who went in with riot batons, arrested everyone and then, if you were really unlucky gave you a kicking in the back of the Van ......... I had the honour of meeting them once when I was 18 :mad:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Guess the "happy greens" made it across the pond.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I think he was probably named after the MET Special Patrol Group .......... A special tactical response unit that was disbanded in 1987 as they were all "headcases" who went in with riot batons, arrested everyone and then, if you were really unlucky gave you a kicking in the back of the Van ......... I had the honour of meeting them once when I was 18 :mad:
Oh right so the show mentioned in the young ones was actually a Micky take of the real police unit ,

Tut tut I never had that sort of trouble with the police when I was younger :rolleyes:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Oh right so the show mentioned in the young ones was actually a Micky take of the real police unit ,
Tut tut I never had that sort of trouble with the police when I was younger :rolleyes:
......... a mis-spent youth. South east London in 70's. ;)