iModelkit software

S

Scuff

With some confusion, I have been trying to find some decent matches for the camo. on my latest build. The Tamiya bf109-E trop 4/7 version that I am building calls for RLM 74 and 75, greenish grey and grey violet.

Tamiya do not make theses colours but the instructions give a mix for the colours using their own paint. I duly mixed these up, and to be honest I wasn't happy.

While I was looking for a good match from other manufacturers, there seemed to be so many variations of the actual RLM colours. (as I am sure those experienced modellers will be aware). I ran the colour mixing part of the iModelkit app on my iPad.

I loaded up the actual RLM shade as a reference and then loaded some colours from the Tamiya swatch section. I was able to alter the mix amounts of my chosen paints until it matched the RLM reference shade.

The proof of the pudding - the mixed paints looked good, and once sprayed they match the RLM colours very closely. So I am very happy.

I also like being able to view in real time, how your mixed shade will look with various amours of White added when mixing for different scales.

So I am confident with the software, the colours on my screen match what I mixed, and more importantly look spot on when sprayed. You can get the software from the AppStore, it's free. Or if you prefer no ads, around a fiver.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi there Graham sounds like an interesting App. I use Vallejo paints and they do those two RLM colours in their Model Air range. I'm looking forward to seeing your build.

Vaughan.

S

Scuff

\ said:
Hi there Graham sounds like an interesting App. I use Vallejo paints and they do those two RLM colours in their Model Air range. I'm looking forward to seeing your build.Vaughan.
Hi Vaughan,

I did purchase those before I mixed my own, and here is what I found - all subjective of course.

RLM74 - The vallejo 70.867 came out with an olive tint, and the ValAir 71.054 was almost black. LifeColor was reasonably close, but my mix as worked out with the software was spot on.

RLM75 - Again the Vallejo 70.869 was green tinted, not at all violet. The ValAir 71.052 was a lot closer but about 1/2 stop too dark. The closest paint apart from my personal mix was LifeColor UA508.

As I said, it's all subjective, but at least now I am confident in getting the colours I want, as opposed to what the paint makers decide I should have.

I will post the images of the kit when finished, then everybody can form their own opinion. I am at he decal stage, having just glossed it with Lakeland polish. Chipping and weathering to go.

Last edited: