In search of RAF Dark Earth

C

Cooperman69

I'm trying to find a good match for RAF Dark Earth for my Tamiya Spitfire Mk1.

I'm using Tamiya paints and I've tried what the instructions quote by mixing XF64 & XF52 1:1 but it doesn't look right and just seems to red to me.

I have found the following "recipe" from the web.....

4 Parts XF 52 Flat Earth

2 Parts XF 3 Flat Yellow

1 Part XF 51 Khaki Drab

1 Part XF 2 Flat White

...but havent got round to trying it yet.

What do you guys use or mix? Are their any other manufacturers that do a good match and can be sprayed with an AB too?

Cheers, Colin.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Best matches easily available in the UK are Xtracrylix for acrylic paints and White Ensign or good old Humbrol for enamels.

Xtracrylix XA1002 "RAF Dark Earth"

White Ensign Colourcoat ACRN10 "Dark Earth"

Humbrol #29.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
I use xtracolour enamel Dark Earth.I like their paints and think this colour is more acurate than Humbrols 29.Get mine from Wonderland Models.

T

tecdes

Colin I use this as part of my "trying" (very trying) to get the correct colours for aircraft during WW11.

Color Reference Charts -  United Kingdom

Do not know how accurate this is but there you go. There is, I have found, so much confusion on colours. Each paint manufacturer lays down their colour so who is to say who is correct. Take your pick. I use Vallejo Model Air but have found some of the recommendations just way off.

Also on this forum it has been an expressed view that the scale of the model deserves a slight change to the hue or colour of the original colours of the full scale size of the aircraft to make the model more authentic. So it is not your simple B & Q colour mix.

Also mentioned before, that being a Videographer, the light you show your model in will change the colours dramatically. Day light, fluorescent ( depending on the fluorescent tube colour) standard light bulbs mostly a yellow cast, 12volt lighting mostly a blue cast. Just the changing white & black light through out the day will change your colours.

Come to the conclusion that it is experience & artistic imagination that counts as to what looks right. And I dare to express what suits you as a model maker.

Laurie

C

Cooperman69

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Steve, I was using Xtracrylics originally when I was brushing paints but found when using them with an AB they dried too quickly and kept blocking the needle. Shame really as they seem to have a good straight forward colour system.

Thanks for the chart Laurie, very useful.

Are Humbrol acrylics as good as their enamels, and do they AB easily?

Another manufacturer I was looking at was Gunze. Are they any good too?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Steve, I was using Xtracrylics originally when I was brushing paints but found when using them with an AB they dried too quickly and kept blocking the needle. Shame really as they seem to have a good straight forward colour system.
I had the same problem with them,I fiddled about with the thinning,pressure etc but finally got them working by adding a drying retardant. A drop or two mixed into the paint cup did the trick. I use one from Liquitex but there are plenty out there.

Cheers

Steve

C

Cooperman69

\ said:
I had the same problem with them,I fiddled about with the thinning,pressure etc but finally got them working by adding a drying retardant. A drop or two mixed into the paint cup did the trick. I use one from Liquitex but there are plenty out there.Cheers

Steve
I might try that route Steve.

Did you thin the paint as well as adding retarder or is thinning not needed with a paint retarder?

Cheers Colin.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Colin,I thin with water (the lovely soft Welsh stuff we get here in Brum) and just add a drop or two of retarder to the paint cup,depending how much paint is in there,and mix it in. I'm not terribly scientific about it I'm afraid!

Cheers

Steve

B

Brickie

\ said:
Colin I use this as part of my "trying" (very trying) to get the correct colours for aircraft during WW11. Color Reference Charts -* United Kingdom

Do not know how accurate this is but there you go. There is, I have found, so much confusion on colours. Each paint manufacturer lays down their colour so who is to say who is correct. Take your pick. I use Vallejo Model Air but have found some of the recommendations just way off.
I note with interest that to get "Sky Type S" in Humbrol enamels you need to mix four different paints in varying proportions. Given how many aircraft must use that colour - the classic "first kit" Spitfire, for instance - you'd think they'd just release it premixed...