Instrument panel decals

L

LucyM

By tips on applying instrument panel decals? I found a thread in another forum saying file off the detail before applying the decal, but that is not practical on the more intricate panels. Will the decal sticker on ok if I apply it over the raised details?328256

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Lucy
I'm sure some of the aeroplane builders will offer more advice but I think it will depend on how large the decal is, how raised the panel detail is and how much decal softening stuff you use. I use Microscale Micro Sol decal setting solution.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Lucy,
apply a coat of clear gloss varnish over the panel. - You might have to use a decal softener to get them to sit down, if you can't file the panel smooth. There are several makes available like this * decal fix * from Scale Model Shop. One part softens the decal, the other, as it dries pulls the decal down over the surface. It won't work miracles, though!
Dave

L

LucyM

Just been out to Hobbycraft and bought Humbrol decalfix. I'll try it later on a spare decal. Thanks for the tips.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
To try and get the best results I would try and take the moulded detail down, as Dave said decal fix can't work miracles :smiling:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Lucy,
I've been using Decalfix - it can be a bit fierce, and moving the decal after placing it can be tricky - it also seems to make the decals stick to my fingers! Humbrol do a tutorial on decalfix on YouTube, * decalfix * that may be of use
Dave

L

LucyM

328321Success! Ok so it's nearly midnight, but with help from all your tips and Humbrol decalfix, got the cockpit decals done. Eyebrow tweezers, cocktail stick and a lot of patience did the trick. Just need to leave them to dry overnight. Thanks everyone.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Good advice from the guys Lucy. One thing I do where possible is to cut the decals into smaller pieces and apply them separately where there is a large 'step'. You MUST have a new blade in your knife before cutting decals though! A used blade is likely to tear the decal rather than cut cleanly.

Part number 5 on your first picture is an example. If the decal was originally supplied as a single piece to cover the whole panel, I would cut it into three exactly as the maker has done - decal numbers 67, 68 and 69 - then it's a much easier fix.

I might even consider doing the same with decal 74 depending on how confident I felt about it sitting properly in one piece. And for certain sure I'd cut out decal number 73 if it was attached to the main panel decal!

L

LucyM

Good advice from the guys Lucy. One thing I do where possible is to cut the decals into smaller pieces and apply them separately where there is a large 'step'. You MUST have a new blade in your knife before cutting decals though! A used blade is likely to tear the decal rather than cut cleanly.

Part number 5 on your first picture is an example. If the decal was originally supplied as a single piece to cover the whole panel, I would cut it into three exactly as the maker has done - decal numbers 67, 68 and 69 - then it's a much easier fix.

I might even consider doing the same with decal 74 depending on how confident I felt about it sitting properly in one piece. And for certain sure I'd cut out decal number 73 if it was attached to the main panel decal!
I see your point in number 73, it was a bit fiddly, I tucked it into the raised detail with a cocktail stick. Next time I'll cut it first. Number 73 was separated and was quite easy. Nice to know someone else is still up at this time! I thought I was being a bit OCD!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Lucy,
cotton buds! Invaluable for decals, rolling over to remove excess liquid, and pressing down into the narrow spaces
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I've been using Decalfix - it can be a bit fierce
I seem to recall my experiences with it being exactly the opposite. Micro Sol works very well for me, but the Humbrol and Testors equivalents never did much, I think. Still, whatever works is good :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You cracked this nicely...
Personally, I use micro Sol and Set..... I use Sol to position the decal, and then press it down using a folded damp paper towel. Once I am happy with the position I flood it with Set to soften and conform the decal to the surface. Don’t touch it again until it’s dry, then if it hasn’t quite conformed, repeat the application. Air bubbles and slivering can be addressed by pricking the decal gently with a very sharp blade or needle and reapplying Set....
Gen’s tip is very useful, as is Dave’s, but if you use cotton buds, wet them and wring them out first to stop them shedding hairs into the decal...and don’t use them once you have applied Set as the decal may disintegrate.....

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good for you Lucy.
A big step fwd :thumb2:
John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Lucy
Glad you sorted it. Have a look at THIS. The guy is a bit long winded but gives sound advice.
Tim's method is pretty much what it shows on the video - Tim just got Set and Sol the wrong way round :smiling:
Dave's idea of cutting large decals is something I haven't thought of but it sounds like a really good idea :thumb2:
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Jim, your correct :flushed:
I usually remember it as “on with the blue one, snug down with the red one”......, but don’t use your good brushes ‘cos it can kill them....use a cheap soft sable...