Intro images

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
This post is merely by way of introduction to other users on the site, and specifically at the request of adt70hk.

One is of the Dominie T.1 by Airfix. I came across a paint scheme different to that in the kit (different nose) and opted for that.
Otherwise it is a straight kit build. No AM parts, no weathering or washes.IMG_3563.JPG
The other is the Airfix starter kit for the Harrier GR.1. Same thing: straight kit build. No AM parts, no weathering or washes.
Apologies for the layout - I can't work out how to get the right photo with the correct text!

I don't know how I ended up with joins on the Dominie engines - they did not seem to be apparent after priming.
The Harrier lost its nose pin early in life :rolling:
So I replaced it with one of my wife's sewing pins (cut the head off) and Araldited it in place.

I'd welcome a set of critique-al eyes on these; most especially as I plan to do the Jetstream in the same colour scheme as the Dominie.

Regards,
John
IMG_3609.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice little builds.
The problem with the join on the Dom could be due to over cautious use of glue. That is you didn't use enough. lol

Nice paintwork on both but especially the Harriet.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nicely done John!!

Well done.

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL i cant see any probs with the dominie looks great to me always loved this jet
chrisbmtb

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice camo paintjob on the Jump Jet, John. The rocket pods really give the jet presence
Wow! Thank you. That was my first time trying that. Hope to get neater by using washes, for example.

Kind regards,
John

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I think Ian's right about those seams. If you don't get cement all the way along a seam, there will always be a gap between the two parts which won't have fused together. No amount of sanding will get rid of it, and I suspect a lot of putties will be too thick to fill what is a really tiny gap.

If you use Extra Thin cement, it's worth running the brush the whole length of the seam and not rely too much on capillary action. Don't worry too much about extra cement along the joint line. 90% of the time this will be invisible under your first coat of paint/primer. If it does show through, a light going over with a sponge type sander will shift it.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Love the Harrier especially :smiling3:
A superb Aircraft and you've certainly made an excellent job of that one mate !!
Andy

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome John .

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I think Ian's right about those seams. If you don't get cement all the way along a seam, there will always be a gap between the two parts which won't have fused together. No amount of sanding will get rid of it, and I suspect a lot of putties will be too thick to fill what is a really tiny gap.

If you use Extra Thin cement, it's worth running the brush the whole length of the seam and not rely too much on capillary action. Don't worry too much about extra cement along the joint line. 90% of the time this will be invisible under your first coat of paint/primer. If it does show through, a light going over with a sponge type sander will shift it.
Dave,
Yes, I did use the Tamiya Extra Thin Quick Setting cement and just capillary action. I was trying to avoid my early faults of glue everywhere on all seams but guess I underdid it a bit. I’ll run the brush along the seams in future.
Thanks for the tip.:thumb2:
John