IRIAF Tomcats

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Always wanted to do one of these schemes 'cos they're so pretty. And NOT GREY!

There was a recent Aviation News with a big feature about the Iranians restoration programs that are still keeping them flying; the hoops they're having to go through and reverse engineering technology. Which is why the US did their best to absolutely destroy all the retired Tomcats so no parts would go to Teheran. Quite a few pictures of current and recent schemes too

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Always wanted to do one of these schemes 'cos they're so pretty. And NOT GREY!

There was a recent Aviation News with a big feature about the Iranians restoration programs that are still keeping them flying; the hoops they're having to go through and reverse engineering technology. Which is why the US did their best to absolutely destroy all the retired Tomcats so no parts would go to Teheran. Quite a few pictures of current and recent schemes too
Apparently Grumman don't even have the machinery for building the wing box anymore. But it is a testament to how hard carrier life is on airframes compared to land based aircraft that Iran is still flying theirs.
This kit comes with two of the modified Hawk missiles, but I do have a full set of US weapons I can give it, not quite decided yet.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Was trying to replicate the green coating on the centre panel of the canopy that the HUD needed on the earlier Tomcats.
Took about 5 attempts to get to this.
IMG_20221203_155026.jpg

I was thinking it was still a bit dark until I found this picture.
Screenshot_2022-12-03-15-57-16-514.jpg

So am happier now.

Seam line to sort out now and then get masked up for the spray booth.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Been putting this step off for too long, probably because I've never done it before.
Sorting out the seam lines on the canopy. Some lessons learnt, sand first, then polish, dremels melt plastic......
Almost there, just a final polish with the finishing grade of polish.
IMG_20230513_122851.jpg